200tdi2td5 headlamp conversion

Hi all, I read somewhere on the internet that there's a kit available for around £800 to convert the entire front end of a 200tdi Disco to that of a td5 lookalike. Having decided to go ahead with this, I can no longer locate the site, or any other site that sells the conversion kit... anyone any ideas? oh, I also want to replace the running boards if that's the right phraze, with some that look like those found on a BMW X5 cause I think they are smart :-)

I'm just trying to get one over on my mate who has a 300tdi and keeps reminding me that his is better looking. well not for long eh...

So my point is.. does anyone know where I can obtain the kit which is supposed to include the headlamps, radiator grille, front bumber and assy kit?

Stephen...

Reply to
Stephen

simmonites, I believe, sell kits to convert a 200 to 300 headlamps and possibly grille, and also 300 to td5 but not 200 to td5. also have a look at the disco lamp conversions on 4x4bits.com, I'm giving serious thoughts to that for my not-yet-bought-the-damn-thing disco.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

On or around Thu, 19 May 2005 21:11:06 +0000 (UTC), "Stephen" enlightened us thusly:

I looked at 200-300, and that looks easy: replace grille, and lower grille panel, replace indicators, replace headlamps; the last invovles minor surgery to the panel the headlamps fit into and also requires that in addition to the actual headlamp you also need the adjusters it mounts on.

Early disco II have very simialr-looking headlamps, from the outside, to the

300. The later ones are more invovled.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Disco 2 and 300 headlamps are identical, apart from the darker inserts on the latter. Externally the same - my 300 had S2 headlamps in it.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

If you can but a 300tdi to 200 tdi conversion kit and also a 300 tdi to td5 conversion kit, then surely you can miss out the middle man and just buy a

300 tdi to td5 kit.

Or am I missing something on the logic somewhere.

Regards

Tony

As has been said, the 300->TD5 conversion is dead easy if it's an early TD5 you're targetting - they're the same lamp units.

I don't think anybody's managed to put together a kit to fit the HID lamps off the later TD5s to a 300 yet - they need to be self levelling and need a whacking great load of electronics to light up properly.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Yep, did mine by accident almost. Smashed a light by hitting the 101 bumper extensions(!) and found that the Disco 2 lights were a) about the same price and b) available in stock, so I replaced the pair.

Thought about fitting the later Series 3 lights, but the parts alone come to about £300. You'd also need to reshape the front wing from what I could see, and make new connectors (the indicator is part of the sealed unit), plus possibly make up mounts.

The HID ones would be even worse - like you say, self levelling is a legal requirement and you need the big voltage stuff too.

Should be possible, but who's going to spend >£600 on a kit to fit bling lights to a 200TDi worth £3k at most? Hence no kit on the market I assume.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Fri, 20 May 2005 17:03:24 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

If I were keeping the disco, I'd probably eventually have put a 300 front end on it, as I reckon they look better. In fact, I prefer the dash on the

200-type, apart from the lack of decent stowage.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Price fitted is £800ish but the lights are available from..... land rover at about £300 plus 2 lower trims at about £16. electronics only needed if internal self level unit is requtred, however the lights need surgery as the plug which fits, is not available on its own, but is part of the engine loom on facelifted series II discos. A better option is to source from a breakers yard with plug and short length of loom.

Reply to
Dad