300 tdi into 101 lift pump question

Lucky B%·%·&/ !

I think, from measurements only, that the transfer box flanges can be made to come out at the same position as the original engine. It also looks like the top of the engine will be comfortably within the engine cover.

My engine is a Disco one, rather than a defender, and I think I need to fabricate a new manifold and turbo charger mounting - is that your reckoning too ?

STeve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Yes they can but drop the gearbox slightly 25mm or so to reduce the rumble. They are within 1/2 inch flang to flange. Pleanty of room for engine height wise, tight fit though sideways with injector pump and alternator.

Cant recall off hand as im fitting a 300 and that fits perfect and there is no difference between the disco and defender. There is a difference between the turbo mounting on the 200 between the defender and disco. So if yours wont clear get the other engines exhaust and turbo.

Reply to
Nick

Bought new TIG set last week, partially for this project... Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Steve

Reply to
steve

On or around Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:13:42 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

yeah, but if you block the airflow into the rad you don't get cooling.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not block, borrow temporarily. There´s not a massive energy exchange going on in the intercooler is there ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

loads of intercoolers are mounted infront of radiators or even behind the radiator and some intercoolers are actually built into the water circuit (Rolls eagle engines)

Reply to
Nick

Bear in mind that intercooler-upgraded defenders have a large intercooler in front of the radiator, without overheating problems. Obviously it all depends on air flow and rad sizes etc but just plonking an intercooler in front of the rad doesn't mean overheating. My plastic rocket has an intercooler, air con condenser and engine radiator in a three-layer sandwich.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

the stock oil cooler (infront of the rad) doesnt seem to affect it, and unless you plan to block the whole radiator i doubt an IC would make the 101 cooling much worse. Loads of cars do it.

I shall examine the 101 tommorrow and see where you could run pipes. wonder if you could get a couple of inch narrower rad and fit them round the ede of it lower down?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Steve,

I have just had a look at a 200 tdi engine in a 101 and the turbo on that will fit but requires modification of the exhaust down pipe casting.

Ideally the turbo air outlet could do with spinning about 90 degrees as it points out through the wheel arch, which I think is possible, but it would require a couple of holes drilling and tapping to take the wastegate mount.

This is an 14L engine which I think was fitted to the Range Rover Classic.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

as it happens there is shed loads of space to fit IC pipework round the side of the standard radiator.

Reply to
Tom Woods

2-3" pipes ?

You reckon ?