Alarming Defender

Good question. You would be amazed how easy it is for the little gits to get in through those doors. I can open mine without a key as fast as I can with a key. I'll be watching this thread for thoughts on alarms. A rottweiler on the passenger seat might work though.

McBad

Hi all, Now the proud owner of a defender 90 hardtop and just got it looking the way I want it.

My main fear is now the theft of my beloved toy.

It has an independent immobiliser fitted and was considering an alarm of some description.

There is no central locking or electric windows to worry about so I just need something that will cover the doors and bonnet and make hell of a racket if some thieving little git decides to try and have it away.

Any suggestions or recommendations for make or type of alarm to fit or have fitted?

Graeme

Reply to
Cassillis

I have a Clifford installed in mine. Most alarms work off the interior light to detect an intrusion if the door is opened. As you have noticed,Most land rovers lack this luxury. You need one with a *bubble sensor*. It works by airwaves transmitted around the vehicle,The good thing about these is you can leave the windows and sunroof open and the alarm wont go off. But as soon as an object reaches in(Like a thieving bastards arm!!),It breaks the airwave and sets the alarm off. I paid around £200 including fitting,Thatcham approved too. If you go for an alarm,Make sure the company is familiar with land rovers before you let them loose on your beloved. I had a bad experience with a company who just didn't have a clue,Which resulted in my wiring going up in smoke. Good luck.

Reply to
bones

Essentially the main purpose of an alarm is as a visible detterent, mine is pretty crap but the fact it gives off false alarms, even if it does annoy the neightbors at least announces its erratic presence.

I rely for the most part on the appearance of security and multiple levels of difficulty in that my back door and one of my side doors are secured by locking hasps, and I have a multitude of locking compartments and padlocks inside (see my bunch of keys)

There is nought to stop someone lifting it with a crane onto the back of a lorry but I guess that would be the ultimate comment if it were worth that much to someone other than me.

Basically it looks like a heap of crap on the outside and I guess is not sexy enough for the determined thief who on past reckoning has been more interested in what is inside (though not the radio, please take it) than the think itself.

Frankly I do not think anyone but an experienced vintage landie driver would be able to get very far with it anyway.

(famous last words as he looks out the window to see if it is still there)

Reply to
Larry

Good idea McBad

I know a funny story about keeping bloody great dogs in the car to ward off unwanted attention.

Many years ago, when cars were removed by police officers for illegal parking, (plod jiggled the locks jumped in and drove it away to the pound), a certain removal team were thwarted by a very devious Rolls Royce owner who would regularly park in Hans crescent at the rear of H.A. Rods.

His gleaming white roller with fantastically thick, cream shag pile carpet and ivory coloured leather interior was guarded by an 8 stone Doberman, who made Attila the Hun look like a choirboy.

Having their noses right royally put out of joint a cunning plan was devised.

A visit to the local chemist was arranged and 3 bars of ex-lax chocolate were purchased.

I'm led to believe the interior of that car was never the same again.

Nor did it park in Hans Crescent either.

Well I thought it was funny

Cassillis

Reply to
Cassillis

In message , Cassillis writes

My 50th Anniv Defender came equipped with an alarm which does just what you want and also has internal sensors. It's linked to the horn so goes off with a hell of a racket - usually because I've forgotten to switch it off before unlocking the door, or because I've forgotten to close the sunroof [1] when the wind is blowing. It also detects attempted removal of the battery and engine immobiliser. Don't know any further details but it shows their is a LR approved one out there somewhere. Oh yes. And it was a real PIA when it went wrong (wiring problem due to being installed far too tight in the first place.)

[1]Think of it as a rust hole in the roof cut square and covered with a piece of glass, Larry
Reply to
hugh

Like the lad who approached the LR owner as he parked up. Mind your car for a tenner mister? Sod off junior I've got a doberman sat on the front seat to watch it said the owner feeling chuffed and confident. Ah said the little s**t, but can it put fires out. Vehicle removed to a securer place. Dave.

Reply to
Dave Piggin