Alloy wheels on series

Folk law has it that you can only fit alloys to wheels where the studs are marked on the end, and certainly my Range Rover with alloy wheels is so marked and my series ll has no such mark. However there is no other discernable difference, and the alloys, using the special nuts fit on the series with no problem. The questions; is there a difference? and if so what is it? and why can't I use alloys on the series? or can I just bung them on with no problems and the folklaw is rubbish in this case?

Any information or direct experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Warwick Barnes

On or around Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:58:13 +0100, Warwick Barnes enlightened us thusly:

check that the studs are the same thread and the same length.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The message from Austin Shackles contains these words:

indeed they are in all visable respects identical the special wheel nuts spin on perfectly.

Reply to
Warwick Barnes

The message from Warwick Barnes contains these words:

For anybody even remotely interested we have the answer, studs marked with a slash or a triangle are for alloy wheels, and are able to be torqued to

140 Nm, sorrey I dont know the equvallent ftlb, they differ from non-alloy use studs by having a bigger head. presumably to take the extra torque!
Reply to
Warwick Barnes