LRO Show Camping and Major R & D developement for Morph :-)

Well we popped into our local caravan sales place today to get some ideas for Morphs camper conversion.....

Came away owning a brand new caravan :-)

(Sorry to all you lot who hate looking at the rear end of a Caravan but it shouldn't be an issue on the occasions we tow it with Percy ;-) )

So where does one get tickets for the LROi show?

Now I just need to decide which one to tow it with...It's going to cost me a fortune in numberplates :-)

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Now that is way over priced £60!!! Have they got indiviual washing machines and sky boxes on each pitch?...twice what Billing cost for 1 day less and £20 for the family for a day where both my kids are under 5 they can shove it right up there magazine rack.

:-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

My thoughts precisely! It's particularly rubbish that you cannot arrive until Friday - it seems that they are trying to market the 'setup day' as an extra day of show for people who camp.

Although it cost me £100 for Billing, once I added in off-road course and additional vehicle. I'm not sure what camping you could get for £30 at Billing?

For the cost of the camping I could go to at least two other shows (and there are plenty of events running over those few weeks).

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Too bl**dy right! Look at what other camp sites charge £10 for a REAL camp site, given I'd be staying 2 nights equates to a reasonable £20 plus the extorionate £20 to get me the mrs and 2 toddlers in then they are still after £20 more than that... Lets be real...who's doing who the favour here?

I wasn't intending parking it anywhere near my drive for crime prevention reasons alone never mind any other reasons...but now you mention it I'll just knock on..maybe they will contribute to the storage (it's free but hey anythings worth a try ;-) ) Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

The answer is no washing machines, no sky boxes, not even an electric hook-up in site. Saying that, we went last year with the caravan and have got a camping pass for this year as we enjoyed it so much. There's six of us + babysitter, so had to pay for extra adult and two kids. I shall check, but I'm sure the letter we got as confirmation said we get on site on Thursday and didn't have to leave until Monday, but I can't find it at present, so will let you know.

Reply to
Nikki

On or around Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:17:11 +0100, Nikki enlightened us thusly:

I suppose if you get 4 nights for 60 quid it's not so bad. Then again, I was half-expecting to modify the back of the 110 to allow a bed on one side, having removed sundry rear seats. bet I'd have to pay the same as for you lot with 101 + caravan + awning....

probably won't have the dosh anyway, unless the insurance lot are uncharacteristically quick.

had a ridiculous uninsured losses claim for my contretemps with the rover

400, from some wunch of solicitors. He/his missus is claiming whiplash and bruising, (from summat like a 30 mph front-end collision...yeah right - anyone I know who's genuinely had whiplash was a rear-end shunt). She's claiming, wait for it, 13 quid, for prescriptions (!)

his claim is slightly more reasonable, includes claims for extra travelling expenses and a towbar (wonder if he'd informed his insurers that he fitted such to the previous car :-))

all this on a very poorly-done standard letter (several spelling errors), with his registration number incorrect, and a list of my alleged "negligence" which bears no relation to the facts of the case - claims, for example, among other things, that I carried out an overtaking manoeuvre (yeah, right, on a 3-yard wide road...).

now I was able to refute 'most all their so-called negligence, and such as I was not able to refute (e.g. "failed to stop or swerve so as to prevent the collision") applies equally well to the other bloke, since he could have gone onto the verge to avoid me just the same as I could have to avoid him. All he did, bearing in mind he could have seen me from about 20 yards, was to brake so late as to leave about a 1-yard skid-mark before impact), and came to rest in the middle of the road, with enough room at his near-side to allow his missus to open the door fully and get out, without even standing on the grass verge.

now I wasn't bothered by this pole of bollocks, but they send these type of forms out to little old ladies as well.

bloody compensation culture...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Better than billing then! We had a nicely spaced out area, which included some space for us and the surrounding kids to play in :)

And then somebody decided that they would put their caravans a foot or so away from the edge of our gazebo. nice.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Oh the luxury and tranquility of a specially reserved corner of 'our field' - right next to the loos too - handy for the girlies ;-)

Reply to
Mother

"Lee_D"

I agree wholeheartedly, and if were not for the fact that we gets lots of tickets when you get a club stand, we woul not have gone last year. The same has happened this year too.

For those who are going, I can offer plenty of alcohol, and hot showers and

*clean* toilet facilities just 10 mins from the East of England Showground.....

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfirend) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

All the pitches are marked out, and when you get you tickets a few weeks before, it has a number on it and tells you which entrance to use. I always thought that everything was too close at Billing(I thought you had to leave at least 20ft all round because of the risk of fire, but I could be wrong) which is one of the reasons we've never stayed there, plus I'd be constantly worrying about Isaac trying to do some daredevil stunt in an attempt to make his bike fly - he watched ET for the first time the other day and has been busy constructing ramps in the garden. I can only think of the little boy who drowned when he fell off his bike into the water.

Reply to
Nikki

Already paid for ours:-(

Reply to
Nikki

The minimum distances between units is set as part of the planning permission. At Billing (for caravans) it is 10 feet between vertical faces which is why, on the sited fields, the pitches are marked at 25ft. This allows a caravan and awning with enough spacing to the next caravan. The "fill in" of tents, gazebos, windbreaks and vehicles isn't covered.

Campers at shows like Billing seem to have an "under siege" mentality. They are given a pitch and told the extent of their pitch by the marshal. Once the caravan is unhitched and the legs are down you can see the attempt to claim territory slowly unfold.

Step 1: The awning. When pitched next to a friend, awnings must face each other. Ideally the awnings should be within 2 feet of each other. Step 2: The windbreak. Once the awning is erected we then need to coral ourselves in and keep everyone else out. This years record is held by the 3 caravans at the end of the main field that deployed a total of 24 wind breaks to completely enclose their "fortress". They then complained about the germans next door blocking an access route ! This means that each caravan brought 8 windbreaks with them... Step 3: The dreaded Gazebo. OK, we've got our awning and windbreaks deployed, now we erect the largest gazebo that B&Q had on sale to ensure that we have the entire pitch covered. It's OK it doesn't need to be pegged down, it's not that windy... Due to the awnings this has to go behind the caravan in the access route but it's OK 'cos we can just move the windbreaks out a bit further. Step 4: The chairs. Any visible ground within the pitch now needs to be covered with a liberal coating of chairs. Step 5: Vehicles, as we have two vehicles and our pitch is now completely covered and walled in, we'll park our cars on the pitch next door.

I have often wondered how long it will be before we see someone turn up with a trailer load of bricks and mortar and build a 10 foot wall around their pitch. If B&Q ever start selling fold up sentry towers they'd make a fortune :-)

cheers

Dave W.

Reply to
Dave White

[..]

This is a classic posting and deserves to be published in one of the Landie comics IMO :-)

Reply to
Mother

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:58:20 +0000 (UTC), Dave White made me spill my meths by writing:

I can see a large group of people discussing this over drinkypoos and, having "liberalised" their sensibilities, all trooping over and having a bloody good gawp over the wall, perhaps even chatting to each other from side to side. Come the evening, a free shadow show could be provided. Line up a couple of Land Rovers equipped with Daylighters and point at the windbreaks. Sit between the lights and the windbreak and offer Viz's finest hand gestures.

I'll get me coat.

Reply to
Wayne Davies