Autobox take-up clunk

The auto box on my Disco 1 V8 clunks quite alarmingly when going from forward to reverse and vice versa, seems worse when warm. Only started doing it fairly recently, any ideas what it could be please? Fluid has been changed fairly recently.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

They all do that sir................

Reply to
Nige

|| Andy wrote: ||| The auto box on my Disco 1 V8 clunks quite alarmingly when going ||| from forward to reverse and vice versa, seems worse when warm. Only ||| started doing it fairly recently, any ideas what it could be please? ||| Fluid has been changed fairly recently. ||| ||| Andy ||| ||| || || They all do that sir................

And they'll carry on doing it for a long time before they give trouble. Pausing for a count of three in neutral before you go into reverse seems to help.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

"Dey doo dat downe dey" yep its not unusual may be more pronounced if your tickover speed is a bit high.though

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Was told it was the output shaft! Don't want to spend money for the sake of it as it runs fine and changes smoothly on the go.

Reply to
Andy

Unlikely, but even if it is, the output shaft of a ZF4 autobox can be replaced in-situ in around 30 minutes!! The clunk is probably an accumulation of play in the drive flanges, diffs and transfer box - most likely the centre diff getting a little worn on that age of vehicle. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:36:53 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

that's what I was going to say.

check it's not idling too fast, check all the transmission joints including CV joints, all of which make it worse.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:53:07 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, the best clunks are forward to reverse without stopping.

bad practice, anyway.

I did notice less clunking on the 110 when I changed a worn (as in rattling when on lock) CV joint.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What about the big ball joint over the rear axle? That made lots of clunks on mine when coming on and off the power, which is a similar(ish) thing maybe?

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

On or around Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:33:15 GMT, "Julian" enlightened us thusly:

It can cause interesting clunks but I think the forward-reverse clunk on autos is slack in the transmission - it happens with the vehicle stationary, and even with the brakes on.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On my 1995 Discovery its worse when hot as the op said, but I find if I put my foot hard on the brake and change slow there is hardly any clonk. On my V8 90 with the same ZF auto there is no clonk at all, even when hot. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Not with the handbrake applied it doesn't. Apply momentarily as you stop to select change of direction.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

My V8 Disco (M reg) does exactly the same. Worse when warm, not at all when cold. I was told that going from D to N, taking foot off brake pedal, then into R helps and it does!. What you dont want to do is jump in the car put it in D and find that it don't move. I started panicing thinking the auto box had gone. all sorts of horrers went through my head. Jumped out of car ready to look for recon boxs when i noticed the wheel chocks i had used to change a wheel were still under the front wheels.........

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

Nice one Dom! It must be something to do with ownership of LR products that makes us assume the worst! I thought that I had holed all the pistons when that temperature sensor thingy made mine conk out.

Clunk avoidance for the blue Rangie when hot:

Stop in D, foot hard on brake. Move to N, release foot brake. Pause. Re-apply footbrake. Move to R

Or

Brake to a halt in D but microseconds before stopping move swiftly from D to R. Then release foorbrake.

Don't know why this works and don't do it often.

Richard

Reply to
Richard