Biodiesel

Is anyone aware of issues with the use of biodiesel in Landrovers or any other vehicle for that matter? Have people been having trouble?

I note with interest that my local biodiesel supplier have recently added the disclaimer:

"It is the responsibility of the customer that any fuel is compatible with their equipment."

Reply to
Swanning about

A trawl through the archives of this group using google groups will bring up plenty of discussion and information about using SVO and biodiesel in Landrover products.

Reply to
EMB

There have been a few threads in here discussing problems with some Land Rovers and other vehicles. Things like seals and injector pumps having problems with biodiesel and vegetable oils, due to chemical incompatibilities and lack of lubricity.

There's also a certain element of CMA involved, if the supplier is reputable. I'd guess that someone recently had words about a problem that they had, or the legal bods did a risk assessment.

Google has the threads, if you can find them.

Reply to
John Williamson

Well until the prices went through the roof, I was running near 100% svo in my 200tdi disco - no problems at all

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

Currently running my 200Tdi Defender(Reggie the Veggie) on 100% SVO (rapeseed oil). The last batch cost me 80p/litre.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

True enough but it tends to be for the older engines, 200/300tdi. I've not seen reports of people using SVO or a percentage SVO/diesel in the more modern engines like the TD5 or TDV6 etc.

Maybe the OPs supplier is simply making a pre-emptive disclaimer. Without such a disclaimer they are wide open to being sued for damages should some one believe that their biodiesel knackered the engine/pump/WHY. Or maybe they have had such a claim land on the mat...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd be interested to know who your local supplier is, or more to the point, if they are part of the Bio Power franchise?

My local supplier of processed waste veg oil supplied me with I think

50 litres which over the course of a few months in the summer, I used mixed with DERV at up to 50% in my 300tdi 90. Coincidentally, after which my injector pump(Bosch) developed a very loud ticking. Long story short - injector pump had suffered damage to the cross shaft and the rotor tips - costly repair, hence didn't risk using it again!

Since owning the vehicle I'd put approx 6500 litres of DERV through the system without a hitch. Then 50 litres of bio diesel and the injector pump suffers damage - what are the probabilities that there is a connection?

Neil

Neil

The biodiesel I have used (in a Toy*** Surf) came from an advertised supplier on the coast in Kent. I have had three lots of 100 litres over the last year and used it primarily in the Surf and a bit in a

200TDi. Both engines ran fine on it, the Surf with noticeably less smoke. However the first two batches had a lot of sludge in them, the Surf needed a new fuel filter after about 2000 miles. I first noticed the sludge when pouring from a jerycan into the car. Subsequently I've decanted the fuel into translucent containers and let it settle out, maybe one inch in a 25 litre container after a couple of weeks. The last batch I bought a month or so ago seems OK at the moment (still settling). Given that I am a low mileage user, and that their price is only 20p or so under Tesco/Sainsburys, I don't bother with all the hassle anymore. I only bought the last batch because the Surf is due the MoT next onth and I know it will be a lot easier on the smoke test on bio.

Gordon

Reply to
gordon