Blaster virus

-snip-

CPM was the same (or actually, the only OS that I remember that required target=source naming convention) as in PIP a:=c:filename.ext to copy a file from C: > A:

Give me OS/2 anyway :) Shame about that...

Reply to
danny

Erm... PC-DOS :-)

Reply to
Mother

It still exists, in a fashion, as Real32.

Reply to
QrizB

On 2003-08-17 snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com said: >>Martyn Cottrell writes >>>quite a lot of selective snipping.... >>>as it is only the market share that determines the number of >>>virus attacks. My worry is, that now the Mac is Unix based our >>>market share just got much bigger. >Personally, and don't tell anyone else this, but I quite like DOS >:o} There was another flavour of DOS at one time but I can't >>Simonm. >Regards >Martyn I'm not alone then! Dare I admit this??? Still using DOS (PC-DOS

2000). No Windows. As far as Internet goes am using Net-Tamer (text only) on 286 (old computers are a bit of a side hobby from LR's) for speed (outstrips IE &c under Windows on 486 and later), or Arachne if full blown graphical web sites are needed. 286 now been switched on non-stop for 5'ish years and never crashed once. What is a virus BTW? There, I've confessed now. Computer is nearly as old as IIA! Alan
Reply to
mbqd64

another flavour of DOS? ah yes I remember DRDOS a very stable and innovative OS it was too; better cacheing better memory usage beter utilities amazing that MSDOS continued in the face of technical superiority and probably why Windows 3.0 was set so it couldnt use the features and would fail to load if DRDOS was installed and its taken how many years to get this to court?????????? Derek

Reply to
Del

(snip)

Not quite - the 286 can't be older than 1984. if my memory serves me correctly, and the 2a can't be newer than 1971 - so the 2a must be more than 50% older, and could easily be twice as old. I am interested though that you are continuing to use a 286 - and DOS - good luck to you! JD

Reply to
JD

In article , SteveG writes

UNIX, and particularly open source UNIX is different in kind.

Linux and BSD (incl. OS-X if Apple are sensible) will always be safer because the code is looked at by thousands of people, not just a small team under time and commercial-secrecy pressures. The commercial tendency is to play down and (worse) seek to hide weaknesses.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Well done Danny, CPM that's the name I was looking for. I wonder what the CPM initials stand for? Come to that I wonder what happened to CPM the OS...... well not really. ;o) Mercifully I didn't get involved with it too much, I had enough trouble with DOS at that time. Give me a GUI anyday!!

I did a quick search on the web and I nearly fell out of my chair... a CPM emulator for the Mac!!! A Playstation emulator okay, but CPM... the mind boggles.

Oh CPM stands for Control Program Monitor and was created by Digital Research. Presumably it was the forerunner of DRDOS. Amazing what a quick search of the net can come up with. Apparently it came before PCDOS but was more expensive, hence why PCDOS took off and Bill $ates is where he is today. Lifes rich little tapestry eh?

It's just like the video story really, the best system was the Phillips one, then Sonys' Betamax and finally VHS (JVC I think). Phillips marketed theirs to the corporate and well monied market, Sony to the upwardly mobile and JVC said, let's make em cheap and sell them at a discount to the TV rental companies. So it all came down to marketing and the worst system won. It doesn't matter how good your product is if you can't market it.

That was Apples' gift as well, Wozniak built a good computer, but it was Jobs that managed to sell a hundred before even the first one was built.

Another successful marketing trick was dBase2, there never was a dBase1, but it sounded like the product had been around for a while, which leant it much needed credebility. I used and programmed dBase4 for a couple of years, creating the only system for predicting the take up of digital telephone services, then they made me redundant... go figure.

Give me Z80 machine code LOL ;o)

Regards Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Cottrell

Well, you would not have been able to make that comment without it.

I also doubt you'd find the 'Web' very interesting, or get your email without some of the unix / linux boxes which sit, behind the scenes, doing all of the real work of the tinternet :-)

Reply to
Mother