Bolt size?

I spent time over the weekend removing the sills and side steps to make way for some Scorpian Racing tree sliders.

Before I can fit them I need to replace the large bolts that hold the A pillar part of the bulkhead to the chassis. The 10mm or so of exposed thread has just rusted away, so with the extra thickness of the sliders there is nothing for the bolt to thread onto.

Could anyone tell me what the bolt spec is, metric or imperial?? M14? I suspect metric as I used a 19mm socket to undo them. I also want to fit slightly longer bolts than standard so if anyone knows of a supplier in Herts I'd be gratefull.

Ta very much.

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around 26 Jan 2004 09:08:42 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

19mm is almost-identical to 3/4" which fits on some UNF nuts and bolts.

it'll be one or the other. If I was a betting man, I'd bet on UNF, in fact... bodywork bits that've not been altered are often still UNF.

which probably makes it 1/2"

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Cheers Austin. Imperial sizes are all new to me, I've only ever had Jap bikes or newer cars that are Metric, my Niva was all metric too.

The Defender doesn't help by being a mixture of the two! I just remembered that in the pdf manual I have there is a section on identifying fixings, I'll take a look and let you know what I find.

Ta.

Reply to
Simon Barr

I always used to use Hobco's in St Albans but a quick look up of fastenings or engineering supplies in the Yellow Pages should prove fruitful.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

I may be wrong on this but... I seem to recall that UNF have a circular indentation (for want of a better word) on the head of the bolt and three circles on one face of the nuts.

Ed

To reply, remove my appendix

Reply to
Ed

On or around Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:59:58 +0000, Ed enlightened us thusly:

ISTR UNF have 3 lines at 120 degrees on the bolt head. not sure about the nuts.

you can tell if it's UNF though, it's a much finer thread than typical metric.

M12 is normally 1.75mm pitch, unless it's a fine one which are rare. 1/2" UNF is a) 1/2" (12.7mm) diameter and b)20 TPI or 1.27mm pitch.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If they're the "nerf bars" with tubular bars at the sides and you have a digital camera, can we have some pics please? :)

Seeing as how nobody has actually mentioned it so far!

Parts book says M12x180 which sounds about right.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

Indeed they are the 'nerf bars'. As soon as they are fitted I'll take some pics and stick them up somewhere for viewing.

Thanks, I'll compare that to whats in it at the moment.

I still haven't got round to fitting them yet, I've been side tracked by my eberspacher which has packed up, just when its getting cold enough for it to be of benefit. Also yesterday was a write off as it was my daughters fourth birthday and we had a house full of screaming girls!

Reply to
Simon Barr