Broken Engine?

Driving out to see the Hulk at our local cinema yesterday, I had just achieved motorway cruising speed (about 60mph), when a louder than usual rattle became audible from the engine compartment. I pulled over to the hard shoulder, and got out to have a listen. The sound was coming from under the rocker cover, and was much more pronounced on acceleration. I haven't had a chance to have a look in there yet, but I'd welcome some estimates as to how serious this could be. There didn't seem to be any significant loss of power, and I was able to drive it back home, although I took things very easy because it was so loud.

Andrew

PS. In case anyone's wondering, we motorbiked out to the cinema after dropping the Land Rover off, and got to see the film.

Reply to
Andrew Harton

Dumb question, but is there any oil in it?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Bit hard to tell without hearing the noise - but any noise that starts in those circumstances could be expensive. In roughly increasing order of expense:-

  1. One tappet adjustment come loose
  2. Oil supply to rocker gear blocked or loose.
  3. Stuck valve - but it may have unstuck leaving 3
  4. bent pushrod
  5. burnt piston or broken rings
  6. gudgeon pin bearing shot
  7. Big end bearing knocking
  8. Loss of oil pressure, either pump failure or out of oil with extensive engine damage

JD

Reply to
John

Could also be a broken lash cap, a small cap over the end of the valve stem that the rocker bears on. My old disiesel engine did this some years back, the noise frightened me severely at the time! Took off the rocker cover, pulled out the broken bits, slackened the tappet and fitted a new cap then re-adjusted the tappet. Noise gone. Some engines have them and some don't, never did manage to work out why, even my local dealer couldn't help with that one, although he did have the lash caps in stock. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

And the follow-up answer to that is "apparently not". I checked the oil level, and the dipstick came out dry - uh oh..

On the good side, I took the rocker cover off and there looks to be nothing loose or broken. I'll try filling it up with oil tomorrow and see what happens.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

In that case I would suspect the worst, and guess that the big ends are shot. If it is the case, best option is to go with a regrind of the crank and big end shells to fit.

Have a similar job on the girlfriends suzy. "I bought this for £80 what do you think. The engine wouldn't start though." I put some fuel fuel and the clanking was immediately obvious. Big ens can sound as though as though they are from the rocker, but they are so loud they can drown out all othe noise. Listen for a rhythmic "tapping / knocking", especially worse under load.

Simon

ps suzy is still parked up. body is extremely rotten!!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Still doesn't explain why she bought the suzy though. " I thought it looked nice" just dosn't cut it with me. Then the next one "I want an NCF Blitz Kit for it" just totally did it for me......

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfirend) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

It was good enough for Charlotte when I said I wanted a 101...

I think the point it to be happy with what spins you.

I'm well into my Landies, fair comment, but I'm also fully supportive of those into whatever. A good pal is well into Jeeps (Steve, the chap with the smashing trailer tent on the Ruftraks stand at Billing for those who remember), but that's fine, he's happy. Sad, but happy, if that makes sense...

If it's safe and legal and makes someone happy, it's fine by me :-)

Reply to
Mother

What is a NCF Blitz Kit?????

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Well my hybrid makes me happy. Those who saw it at Billing (I know Martyn was one) may realise why. Went out earlier this evening before we hit the maison public (!!!!), and to say I'm impressed with my new Grizzly Claws is an understatement!

Certainly makes me happy!

Those who didn't see it, the Beast will be at the LRO Show......

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfirend) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Tell her to take a look when Grumble's finished :-)

I understand that Mandy (Mrs Tim) has a revitalised interest - due to Tim 'enabling her' to take control of her imagination (without drugs too, but rain paid its part) :-)

Reply to
Mother

I seem to remember hanging out of the window shouting something like "THAT IS WELL COOL" - rather childish really, but it was what I felt at the time...

I rest my case :-)

Sadly, we will not be there. I have to salute the fact that Charlotte is very (very) understanding of my Landie habit, and as a consequence feel obliged to take her on at least one holiday per annum which does not involve mud, rain, oil, EP90, geeks, chemical toilets, showers in which people have dumped, catburgers and twisted senses of cost logic

We will be elsewhere :-)

Reply to
Mother

Try

They do rebodies for RR and Suzies, using their existing chassis, along with other running gear kit based variants. Prices actually seem half decent for this sort of job.....

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfirend) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Kind of...

May need to - with the stuff for the boat...

She'll probably kill me, but it'll be quick...

Reply to
Mother