Bumper Dilema

Front Bumper on the 110 has rotted through,, oddly as the rest of the chassis is waxoiled to the extreme and solid as a rock.

Anyway my dilema is do I replace it with a black standard bumper or go for the couple of quid cheaper galvanised one (browsing paddocks site) and paint it black.

Logic would say go galv but would I then need to etch prime it or summat to make the paint stick properly? I'm thinking Galv as it should last considerably longer.. or do I go with plain old steel and let it continue it's role as a self appointed sacraficial anode.

110 id now all White , no decals (presently) with black modulars (just to help for those fashion concious readers) :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sun, 1 Jul 2007 19:30:13 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

Put the galv one on and leave it galved. after a year or so paint'll stick to it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Right.. I think thats made my mind up for me... I'll probably end up leaving it Galv once I get used to it. I see Rich has them priced competetively so I feel a order coming on. I'll check the bolts first as they appear they could be sporting if they don't play ball.

I'm planning to do the manifold to downpipe gasket on the disco tomorrow ---- again. So it should piss down all day long... though I suspect I may be able to nose the front end in to the garage to do the job... here's hoping. Oil and filter too if it goes well. Off to reclaim the front half of the garage.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

or use zinc based primer double resistance to corrosion and no etching issues Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sun, 1 Jul 2007 19:56:22 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

You'll want bolts, they can be a right bastard, IIRC access to the bottom nut is iffy and the bolts won't (all) come out downwards, so you can't just cut the head off. mind, my memory may be blurred. I recall swearing quite a lot at it. M10x110 or some such, but they're easily measured. Unless you're a sticker for originality, in which case at least the earlier ones are UNF.

It pissed down here Saturday when I was doing swivel bearings. Aha, thought I, big blue plastic sheet and rig it over the vehicle. So I did, only to find there's a small hole in it right beside the OSF wheel that I was working on.

Reply to
Austin Shackles