Charity event

If it goes ahead this year, it will hopefully be on the 5-6 August, site bookings depending. Would require a deposit of maximum £50 per car to cover the costs, with competitors then organising their own sponsorship and fund raising.

The £50 per car would cover MSA insurance, site fees and admin. Accomodation would be by way of bring your own tent and camp at one of the sites that we would use.

A BBQ would be provided on the Saturday evening for all competitors.

It will be suitable for ALL 4x4 vehicles, whether standard or modified, although there would be some emphasis on Green Oval vehicles.

I have organised several of this sort of event for my club in the past, as a fun event for families on a sunday morning!

Basic format will be:

Navigational Scatter - collecting markers and clues from signs etc on public highways - both days

RTV section, driving through a series of canes without stopping, hitting one etc - both days

Off road scatter, collecting punches from places you must get your vehicle to. - one day

NO GPS units!

Located in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire, aiming for 300 miles over the two days, with event times Saturday 8am to 5pm and Sunday 9am to 3pm.

Charities TBC but possibly Alzheimers and Kidney Research UK

Is anyone interested?

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

...and Simon Isaacs spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Definitely, if dates don't clash - will have to check.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

When will you know ? Is it likely to be kid-friendly ? Or can we ditch the little buggers at Grandmas ?

Ah, The Bailey Burger Bar -grips.

Thats a sensible distance.

Make it Cancer Research UK too and I'm in.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Interested but can't do them dates... good dates though none the less!

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 16:31:40 +0000, Steve Taylor scribbled the following nonsense:

will be checking dates with the sites I intend to use on Monday. Will get a website set up to advertise it and for entry etc once the sites are confirmed.

should be kid friendly, if you can stand having them in the car for two days. Generally I have found with the treasure hunts I have organised in the past, kids love getting involved spotting the clues. I've also given kids a list of things to collect in the past, which keeps them busy!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Sat, 4 Feb 2006 13:20:19 +0000 (UTC), Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

will you be expecting any minimum charity effort?

potentially.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 09:55:03 +0000, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

Minimum fund raising of £200 in sponsorship.

Just got off the phone from the MSA. Told them what I wanted to do, they proceeded to quote bits of their website at me. All well and good if you understand it I said, just after clarification really of what I need. You have to submit routes they said, but the event is being organised so that no set route will be followed, the competitors are given clues and they have to work out where or what they are. Oh, well in that case.....

I have 2 sites booked for the weekend 5-6th August, so it is starting to look like a goer!!!!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

That'll rule us out - as it's rather 'built in' and forms a part of the vehicle now... May offer to man bass-camp, though.

Reply to
Mother

Everyone loves a volunteer - but I hope these are only provisional bookings!

I'm still a tad confused - Steve has mentioned concerns about the overall safety of the Mca4x4 - and I have to say, I do pretty much agree TBH - however replacing it with an equally structured event, albeit 'safer', probably isn't the way to go IMO.

I can't see any issues with having an unofficial fund-raiser based on non-competitive driving - if you want an element of competition, keep it non-vehicle related lest individual insurers get iffy.

Things I'd suggest would be:

A rolling quiz - with a clue-sheet, answers to be collected en-route (like a treasure hunt)

Photo challenge - for the most unusual picture of a series of given geographical 'features' or scenes.

Kids-v-adults quiz

Egg-hunt - on private land (similar to last years Malvern - Autin and Simon can arrange this!).

Putting Steves tent-up-challenge...

You can build all this into an overall 'challenge', but in a non-formal manner.

Just my initial thoughts :-)

Reply to
Mother

But that was the old - now nicked GPS and anyway, I simply HAD to go via 'Login' when I saw it was there and also sort of a 'lane' to get via it...

Reply to
Mother

Graham G uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Reply to
Lee_D

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:22:19 +0000, Mother scribbled the following nonsense:

you have just listed all the events that are being included! Planning a "treasure hunt" is a lot more complex than a "navicational scatter" because of the permissions that have to be obtained and route submitting that has to occur. A nav scatter follows no set route as you list the points that have to be visited, and the competitors have to work out there own route.

Once SWMBO gets the GLASS mag out of the way (means I get my PC back, instead of working off my laptop), I will finish putting together the info and the event will go live!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

That'll please Steve... :-)

Reply to
Mother

Oh if only I'd have thought of that in advance! I'd intended getting a piccie of Grumble by the "LOGIN" sign, but there wasn't much of a Login sign and by the time we got there it was too fecking dark to get any piccies anyway :-(

But at least we've been there! Yay!

Reply to
Mother