cheap gasless mig recommendations?

I tried a bit of gasless when my gas ran out and it was s**te. I was welding an angle frame for my trailer. couldnt get the same penetration with the gasless as the gas did easily and it looked really shockingly messy afterwards too whereas my gas welds were sweet!

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

"Andrew T." wrote................

You should be able to chip off the bandage even if it's gone hard, then scratch the surface to strike up the arc; as I said it doesn't matter if it's untidy, you can sort that when it's off, it's the way I do it but I usually use oxy/acetylene for exhausts.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Spill the beans then.....

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Quality Welding Equipment Ltd

Market Drayton Unit C11 Rosehill Industrial Estate Rosehill Market Drayton Shropshire TF9 2JU Phone: 01630 638905

Not totally local, but not too bad to get to. They are on the best industrial estate ever (an old RAF base with loads of sheds all over the place). I so wish i could afford a unit there and also lived closer! It was very close to £50 for all the bits initially. full bottle, reg with flow gauge that attaches to it and then a bit of big pipe with an adaptor on the end to go on the std small mig pipe, and a proper spanner for taking the reg off the bottle (easier than grinding a proper one down) Ive had it filled up once so far, but i've made a trailer, 14ftx6ft of metal gates, various little bits n bobs and some hefty metalwork for the 101 gas conversion with it.

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Sounds good to me, I'll possibly treat myself once I empty the rest of the garage :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

"Tom Woods" wrote...........

Now go and borrow a bottle of Argoshield or Coogar and see how much better it is. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

So I hear - but that stuff is an awful lot more pricey as it seems you can only rent the bottles for it! (unless i can get my own pub bottle filled with it?)

I dont have any ongoing rental costs on my co2 just a £15ish refil when i need it!

Im really happy with the quality of the welding im laying down as it is too.

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Then crank the voltage up on the MIG and get into spray transfer welding

- awesome penetration and quick welding.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:33:43 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

heh. I run on Coogar, got a dinky little PT10 bottle which lasts for ages with the amount of welding I do. I have heard it said that straight CO2 is better on rusty stuff.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:10:38 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

And I assume the services of a willing landlord? Or have you got a legitimate supplier?

pub gas bottles are the property of the brewery, for the most part, and they're generally a bit possessive about it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles" wrote ..............

That's a fallacy, decent welds can be made with CO2 but it's best to remove rusty stuff if possible, whatever you are welding with.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

came from the welding shop. Didnt ask where they got them from but they had a good 5-10 more in stock.. Every 'proper' welding shop i have been too has had some pub gas bottles stacked somewhere!

mine belongs to me :)