clever stuff.

"The Bikers" vs "bikers"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Annoying nit-picking detail - "ten years" ? I shifted to Linux beginning of '95, it was well out of beta by then.

Just to comment on the time-scale, not to disagree with the wider point. Linux jbexeth.

Reply to
Richard Robinson

Yeah yeah, you are one small nudge away from going off on a rant about car drivers and chest-beating about your own riding skills, ain't you just :-P

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

My last two cars had built in systems by Blaupunkt, both had TMC, both contributed usefully to routing but ONLY when I had the radio tuned to classic FM !!!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Mine doesn't make me suffer like that.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There are I think two TMC providers in the UK, one of whom is carried exclusively by Classic FM, and that's the one that tomtom went with, I was never able to pick up a useful signal from the TMC aerial.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Nah that's not an analogue/digital difference it's an example of massively parallel computation, it's only fast because you have lots of threads running at once.

Reply to
Steve O'Hara-Smith

Its the TSP that really got me wondering, because I thought a few years back that all routing problems ended up NP-complete, but realised that the TSP is a special case because its for ALL nodes in the problem.

Thanks for the stuff on the travelling wave method - I have seen similar approaches for maze solving for micromouse type things

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

They'd put it in the Tate Modern, mind.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I wouldn't fancy an edge-following GPS, well not if it made me follow the edges anyway

Reply to
Andy Burns

Edge following was abandoned years ago from my limited knowledge of the state of the art. And having seen Miteymouse III (?)getting to the centre on his second run in less than 10 seconds, you can see why.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

No, that's Hertz van Rental (note _no_ capital for the preposition - only Belgians and USAliens do that), and he is the seventh bench-sitter for PSV, which is a different club altogether.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Bos

73 lines to say that, FFS. Don't landroverers know any better?
Reply to
Sn!pe

No, it's an analogue computer, they're not like a digital computer but with analogue signals, they can be just about anything, other than a digital computer of course. It isn't parallel processing as that's a computing technique and a network of beads doesn't have any processors.

And the threads don't run, they can't, you've got hold of their balls.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Mon, 20 Oct 2008 23:04:22 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

I actually followed it's recommended route home from Llandovery. buggered if I know how it qualifies as "quickest", unless the speeds are well off.

I've been playing with the GPS stats screen, getting average speeds for different types of road. So far:

unmade road : 14 mph minor roads : 23 mph A roads : 43 mph

Not sure what it calls a "link road", B road maybe. unless major roads are DC A roads, and link roads are everything else not minor.

hmmm:

motorway subsidiary motorway main road link road important local road local road small street unpaved road path ferry train

plus percentages for "tunnel" and "urban area"

Anyone like to hazard a guess at which is what?

hmmm2 just been tweaking the colours (all the lower classes of road were almost the same). It doesn't have a colour for "subsidiary motorway", but basically, trunk roads are main road, plain A roads and B roads are "link road". I guess there's not that much difference in speed on a non-trunk A road and a B road, at that. Maybe "subsidiary motorway" is a dual carriageway, when it's doing route planning?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:55:49 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@spambin.fsnet.co.uk (Sn!pe) enlightened us thusly:

but lard rover owners always carry around loads of tools and other tqt...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I suppose you think Segovia Carpett isn't a drunken guitarist either?

Reply to
Rich B

Of course not. A Segovia Carpet is what's left on the floor by a drunken guitarist.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Bos

Funny you should say that... one of my LJ friends had to get his electrical engineering toolkit out just the other evening when the wiring on his Lardrover lights broke.

He's currently looking for someone to fettle a, er, thing, so he can put a reclaimed non-lardrover seat in his lardrover. He asked what we'd call that kind of person - a blacksmith? A metalworker? I said I'd call that kind of person Austin...

Reply to
Amethyst Deceiver

In article , Amethyst Deceiver generously decided to share with us..

Snippetry..

Funnily enough, I told said person that I'd call that sort of person Austin too..

Reply to
Gid Holyoake