Clubs - Landrover General

We have county based clubs but is there anything National? Our County club for instance seems fine if you are into trialing but otherwise seems pretty devoid of activity.

Given we seem to float between the various types of Landrover I no longer feel that a model specific club is for us, It's also a shame to lose touch with people who you have become friends as a result.

Is there a Landrover club that operates on a National Level that isn't model specific?

Closest I've found is Mud Club but that is an All Marques club, I've got nothing against those on the Darkside and MCUK is a fine place to hand around but do long for one club which supports the Green Oval.

Does any one know of one?

Lee D

Reply to
Dr_D

I'n not aware of a general LR all models club. The current set up of regional clubs affiliated to the ALRC was intentional, as the original "Land Rover Club" got moaned at for not being regional, if you see what I mean. As with most clubs of any interest area, there's always 3 or 4 people who do everything, and what gets done depends on those few people. I was a wearer of many hats at the Newcastle & Nantwich Club for many years (Mag editor, green lane rep, secretary), often all at once and we got the club boiling - quarry weekends, laning, trials, brilliant times for about three years. We did this from scratch after the entire committee had resigned and left the club. We did this largely by getting rid of the committee and discusing everything at club nights, so no one could say they didn't get a say. Then I stated working away from home, Dust Mat Dan got busy at work over the weekends, Bernard got a bit creaky and it all fell to bits. The long and the short of it is that if you want a club to do what you want, joint it and do the organising[1].

Richard

[1] Avoid ones with cliquey committees though, as the resident "experts" will most likely be on the committee and will want to retain their supposed influence, even to the detriment of the club. They can usually be spotted by beards (often goatee) and green bodywarmers. A flat cap covered in badges is an optional extra.
Reply to
beamendsltd

Is the Newcastle and Nantwich club officially no longer then so to speak?

Just done a quick google and ended up at an Auction site!

The concept of the pub meet is sound , my personal block to this is working shifts and balancing family life which sadly means weekends are rare and evenings are equally in turmoil. Most frustrating but it puts food on the table and EP90 in the silver balls.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

N&N are still going - Meetings in Burslem in the Titanic pub on the last Wednesday of the month. There's the possibilty of a bit of a resurgence as three of us have got 90's with the aim of getting back involved.

The mags are still at

for those who are *really* bored! The contact details are *out of date*!

That's the trouble, the do-ers get hitched and......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

The Titanic, that should go down well......

Sounds interesting... room for a 110?

Just checked ... Late shift this month :-( Earlies next month so if I can get a sitter!

Is there an official joining process or is in an initiation involving testing the depth of trenches and opening gates whilst balancing a sheep upside down?

Oi Tom!?

Lee D

Reply to
Dr_D

Send a mail and I'll give you Bernards number, he's Secretary at the moment.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

YHM :-)

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

I used to be in the N&N. Last I knew, the meetings were at Betley then moved to nearer Balterley I think.

Unfortunately, I often work on Wednesday nights, don't live in Staffordshire any more and (keep this bit quiet!) don't have a Landy any more!

Remember me to any of the old'uns who remember a blue SIII truck cab called Ned.

Judith

Reply to
Judith

On or around Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:27:25 -0000, "Dr_D" enlightened us thusly:

Martyn and others were working on an unofficial.

Personally, I want to form the Purple Land Rover Club, I know at least 2 members...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Would that be the PLC plc? :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:41:46 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

tempting.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

b> [1] Avoid ones with cliquey committees though

*or* committees at all :-) One reason MCUK works is it doesn't have a committee - it's just a collective :-)
Reply to
Neil Brownlee