clutch

I proudly took possession of my first Defender (110 TD5 - 167.000 km) not that long ago. Today I noticed that the clutch pedal seemed to have acquired a lot of play ( > 1 inch). Gears are changing fine however. Am I in for something?

Reply to
Uli

Has anything happened to the level of the clutch fluid in the reservoir? In my experience most problems (Tdi 90) are leaks and these will be heralded by a more or less rapid drop in the reservoir fluid level.

I hope you're not.

Cheers,

McBad

I am definitely having a problem now and need advise. This morning I was not able to get into gear anymore. I cannot detect fluid in the clutch fluid reservoir. So far I could not find a leak, I would not know where to look anyway. No spots on the ground, although its hard to tell as we had a little bit of rain last night. What now?

Reply to
Uli

P.S. Crawled under the engine and found a leak under the bell housing. The slave (I think that is what you call it) shows dry marks of what looks like an old leak, nothing fresh.

The whole problem developed quite rapidly from yesterday becoming suspicious to this morning being stranded. (110 TD5 2000 model)

Reply to
Uli

In message , Uli writes

If the fluid is not running down the pedal, then you need a new clutch slave cylinder. As the fluid is being lost into the bell housing.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Thanks Marc, I was hoping for better news. What are the consequences of having clutch fluid in the bell housing? Is replacing the slave cylinder a definite workshop job or has it got do-it yourself potential? Regards, Uli

Reply to
Uli

In message , Uli writes

As long as you don't poor gallons in it won't be a problem.

Replacing a clutch slave cylinder is a simple job, as with every job the right tools make it easier.

In my workshop Half an hour from drive in to drive out.

Make sure you have a good brake pipe spanner as not to round of the union that goes into the slave cylinder. And if the rod pulls out of the clutch fork just put it back just don't loose it inside the bell housing it is not the end of the world

A helper to pump the clutch pedal when bleeding is much better than easy bleed.

Good luck

Reply to
Marc Draper

I've only done the clutch slave on an LT77 of 1984 vintage, and it was a doddle, 20 minute job.

remove hydrolic pipe, unbolt 2 bolts holding slave in position. remove slave cylinder. fit replacement slave engaging the rod through the rubber cup into the cylinder. bolt-up and torque. refit hydrolic pipe. bleed system by method of your choice (I like eezibleed).

and robert is your fathers brother.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

Thanks Marc and Mark, you have lifted my spirits.

Probably a dumb question, but what is eezibleed?

Reply to
Uli

In message , Uli writes

It pressurises the fluid res using the air from your tyre. But especially with LR clutch master cylinders just sprays brake fluid around the engine bay.

If you are on your own they prove their worth.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Yea, have to be sure you have a good seal. I have trouble with my legs and back and I almost always work alone so the eezibleed is rated 'fecking brilliant' in my book.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

On or around Sat, 5 Mar 2005 13:07:33 -0000, "McBad" enlightened us thusly:

can be an iffy clutch master cylinder, or low fluid. Not sure if that on has the iffy clutch release arm, if it does, it could be an incipient failure of same.

If the clutch master cylinder doesn't return fully "home", then it doesn't let more fluid in from the reservoir.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:36:52 +0000, MVP enlightened us thusly:

I've had things that would only bleed using a pressure bleeder.

You do, however, have to watch your pressures. I find about 10 psi works oK, I tend to use an old car tyre.

Anything over 20 psi is way too much.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Both staff in the Parts Department and the Repair Section asked me on the phone what makes me so determined that the Slave is at fault and not the Master Cylinder. 'Because I does not drip down the pedal, also no fluid in the engine compartment, therefore it must be bleeding into the bell housing' was my cocksure reply.

Their questioning made me feel a bit uneasy and I started to remove the rubber in the pedal section. And there it was ... a lot!

No I am busy doing my first big job by removing the master cylinder. Not being experienced in mechanical jobs at all I wished at times never to have started with it. But then again - today I became a true rookie Land Rover man! ( I just hope I will be able to drive mine again once I am done)

Reply to
Uli