Defender Indicator Stalk

The switch attached to the indicator/dip/horn stalk on my 1999 300Tdi Defender wagon is faulty and I have priced a replacement here in Australia at around A$350.00. This sems to be a bit excessive to me, and was hoping someone on the other side of the world might know of a source that could supply one a bit cheaper. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Scott

Reply to
sebrofas

If memory serves, try getting one for a Morris Marina or LDV Van - they used to be the same!

Cheers

PeterB

Reply to
PeterB

On or around Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:22:31 +0000 (UTC), "PeterB" enlightened us thusly:

later-vintage LDV are not the same as my 110. I suspect the Marina ones might be, however.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

LDV = Leyland Daf Van = latter day Leyland Vans which, in turn, descended from the late BLMC Austin/Morris ranges - they used off the shelf parts for many of their switches and share a lot of electrical stuff with Land Rover products (first time I saw a brand new LSE I was shattered to see it had the same indicator and light stalks as our works Mini Metros)

Anyway - most Leyland products of the 1980 (ish) era boast a mish mash of switches and stalks that look fairly similar but tend to differ in the multi plugs that go on the end (e.g. some Metro stalks have no interior illumination whilst Disco/RR do) however a happy thirty minutes with a crimp set can alleviate that problem. I've fitted Metro stalks to a late Series 3 Land Rover.

You'll need to go on the lookout for another Leyland product - Metro, Maestro, Montego, Triumph TR7/TR8 (not the Honda copies though), Rover SD1 - not sure how many of them made it to Australia? Easiest thing may be to order from the UK and get it sent surface mail (if you can stand the wait)

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

(snip)

Thanks for the info.

Almost no Leyland products made it to Australia after the mid seventies except Landrover and luxury products - the local industry was protected, and the local manufacturers built local or Japanese or European designs rather than Leyland products after Leyland ceased local manufacture.

Unknown >Montego, Unknown

Rare

Rare

Reply to
JD

On or around Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:07:57 +0100, "Smurf" enlightened us thusly:

they go by chassis numbers, it seems:

up to GA455945 HA455946 to VA104805 from VA104806 on.

needless to say, the oldest one is the cheapest :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thankyou all for your responses. I will try Paddocks and as someone pointed out even with the exchange rate and freight, it'll be the cheapest option.

Thanks again

Regards Scott

Reply to
sebrofas