Didnt last long....

Mark Solesbury

Mark Solesbury uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yeah.. bit of a pig in a poke that one. You gotta love it to take it on.

Cracking concept poorly executed, still wouldn't say no if I won the lottery mind... then again maybe I'd buy a winnebago.(sp)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Wasn't that David French's one? I had a good look around it at Malvern a couple of years ago. A litle cramped inside, but a brilliant vehicle, if you can stand the running costs, which I imagine are huge. I think David was asking about 7K for it at the time, BICBW.

Reply to
Rich B

It started off at silly money and why not but eventually it will found it's level. You never know there's one born every minute mind.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Mm. My thougts too. I love these two lines from the ad:

"I would assume that this vehicle would go anywhere ...."

Which given video's I've seen of it encountering severe difficulties that wouldn't even delay a 4x4 or a properly configured 6x6 is probably stretching the definition a bit.

and

"We were told that to build this vehicle from scrap would cost £45,000.00"

Which is fine, but I wish people wouldn't use this line in adverts to imply that somehow you're getting a bargain. The vehicle is only worth what people will PAY, not what it cost to build, or how rare it is, or reflect how much your dear departed great aunt used to adore it.

My old man once owned a 1950's coach-built Daimler, the only remaining survivour of a batch of six vehicles. Even with needing some bodywork doing, you'd think that'd be worth something, but no. Even Beualieu didn't want it for nothing. In the end he gave it away to someone who wanted to restore it.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Morph was £140,000 new I seem to recall from the Marshalls Invoices I was sent... well technically not new ... just refitted as the Ambi.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sat, 08 Dec 2007 18:08:56 +0000, Alex enlightened us thusly:

Personally, I'd start with a brace of 101s, not scrap.

Actually, if I really wanted to build summat like that I'd start with a 90 and a 110, and do it coil-sprung; get much better articulation like that. I'd also make it 4WS, one way or another, to eliminate (mostly) tyre scrub.

'course, it's be tempting to overlap 2 90s and make an 8x8. But a 6x6 probably has fewer problems.

which, at 15K, I don't think you are.

It's a very non-standard truck, it has some significant issues, there are spares considerations... frankly, impressive as it is, it's a bit of a white elephant. I'm afraid I wouldn't buy it, even if I had the money.

If you want an overland expedition truck, an ex-WD MJ would be better... or build summat less compromised.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It is a truck that will change hands many times due to size and layout.

Apparently there are some vehicles in africa that simply never come home, just bought and sold at destination. I did find a website somewhere from someone who had done this, and all that happened was as you left your start point, the advertising started, with the collection point listed as your destination.

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with no floor - its being fixed at last! 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Simon Isaacs uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Isn't there a street in London renowned for similar reasons. As in Immigrants or tourist buying campers on the spot... saw it a while ago on TV.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Ooh, speaking purely speculatively, could the execution be fixed ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

If you want an 8x8 based on a coil LR, try this:

I even have somewhere a drawing of the transmission/axle layout, if anybody is interested.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Is this a good time to link to this pic?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I'm not convinced that's genuine you know...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Sun, 09 Dec 2007 01:02:03 +0000, Alex enlightened us thusly:

yes, please. I might get to build one, you never know.

From what I recall, it's 2 90s, overlapped and one facing backwards. 'course, to *really* be fun it'd have to be a twin-engine one. Then it could run on one engine and 4WD on the road, too...

Hmm. I see it's really 2 110s. 2 90s would do though. I've always wanted to build a twin engine thing :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 08 Dec 2007 21:18:04 +0000, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

It'd be hard work, but yes. The rear end suspension needs reworking to improve articulation, and ideally get the axles closer together. That or fit a steering axle in the middle.

It suffers from a lot of tyre scrub due to the layout and limited articulation. It probably needs LSDs or (more) locking diffs, too.

The articulation could be addressed by changing it to work like they typical

6x4 heavy trucks do.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Particulary if you look at the sky above the two rear sections or the tarmac between the rear pairs of wheels...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I was thinking more of the parking space, you never get them with enough space in! Are you saying the truck's not real?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Certainly will do, I need diff locks more in the 6x6 pinz than the 4x4 pinz does because the nature of any vehicle with more than 4 wheels is to lift one set much more frequently than you might expect.

Might be worth having a look at the Volvo C304 (IIRC), the 6x6 version of the C303, that's a high-articulation off-roader with beam axles, probably get more useful hints from that than you would from a road truck or a pinz.

Thing is though, if you look at a C304 with a mind to doing a 6x6

101FC conversion you're likely to look at the £3,000 price tag of the C304 and just forget the whole idea of a 101FC conversion ;-)
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Nor would i, having driven a 101 many miles, I can't imagine how that would drive & lets be honest, a well prepared 110 would be much more sensible with roof tents etc.

Reply to
Nige

It'd be nice to sort it right though.

...but not at that price.