Disco diff. lock light

Hello all; I've had a bit of a problem for a while now with my central diff lock light. This occurrence is intermittent. I've checked and adjusted the operating linkages and the lock definitely comes on or off. Sometimes however when the lock is physically on the light does not come on. I've checked the wiring and connectors in the vicinity of the switch but they seem OK. Could it be the switch ? Bloody hard to get at :-( Thanks for any tips. Frank

Reply to
thesnowbaron

thesnowbaron posted ...

I've found it can take a metre or so of driving for the light to come on or go off. Occasionally it'll come on if you put diff-lock on while stood, but mostly it takes a short movement to do it. The locks on mine definitely work, as you say, even while the light's out ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

In message , Paul - xxx writes

To release the diff lock it may often be necessary to drive a short distance backwards. This can be very disconcerting for any Series driver who follows too closely behind.

Reply to
hugh

hugh posted ...

Especially when to go in reverse you have to go up the hill they're coming down .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Hi, Ive found that just reversing back a few yards whilst locking the steering to one side, a 90 degree motion does the trick.

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair

Any one else done this as advised by the Landrover Experience.

Quick burst of acceleration and a quick gear change up ??? It does work

Dave

Reply to
Dave H

In message , Paul - xxx writes

Oh and also if you're in your ex-military 90 which doesn't have a reversing light!!!!

Reply to
hugh

In message , Dave H writes

No reason why it should necessarily - the actuator fork is 'tight' due to the little bit of differential movement between the front and rear axles. The 'reversing up' or 'steering side-to-side' methods effectively attempt to 'unwind' this tightness. Accelerating and changing up would only work if there was differential traction between front and rear axles or lots of transmission slop ... neither are guaranteed.

Reply to
AndyG