Discovery door

Hi all,

Well I heard rumours that it happens and now it has. The back tailgate has been difficult to close for a while and finally yesterday I noticed that the door hinge has snapped. Well the piece of metal in the middle, pin going through the centre. I have ordered the part from Land Rover for some £35.

Anyway it seems the problem is the weight of the spare wheel and the amount of off-roading I do. Also, some of the roads I travel are not that good.

So I have been thinking is there a way to drill out the old pin and put say a stainless steel pin in. Something that is a little stronger.

Failing that I am considering putting the spare wheel on the roof bars. Does this affect wind resistance or the centre of gravity?

Vehicle:

1993 K plate Discovery - English. 2.5 TDI Mods - Gas shocks Checker Plated bumpers Stone chipped sills Huge spots on the front.

Any thoughts anyone?

Andy

Spammers - spam me and I hunt you down and kill you and your family. YOUR CHOICE.

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Both.

Even though spare wheels are moderately heavy, Discoveries are proportionally a lot heavier, so although your CoG will go up, I don't think you'll notice much. I've carried a heck of a lot more weight than that around on the roof for extended offroad driving and haven't found it a problem.

Discoveries are also not very aerodynamic, but from experience I think you

*will* notice a bit of increased wind resistance (more noise, less mpg) but hey, what does it matter.

I think your biggest problem will be working out a strong, secure & safe way of attaching the tyre to the roof bars.

David

Reply to
David French

35 quid, for the whole hinge I take it?

Might be possible, stainless isn't always better though...

yes and YES the wind I wouldn't worry about, the CoG I would....

Niel.

Reply to
NJF

I wouldn't worry about CoG. A wheel weighs (I'm guesstimating) about

15-20kg. 4 adults weigh about 300kg, so even if the roof is 3 times further from the CoG than the seats you are still making a relatively small contribution to CoG.

Just imagine what your CoG would be with Martyn and Wayne in the dicky seats.... :-)

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

You got a picture of your series 2a that is for sale?

Andrew Renshaw

Auction long since expired with no takers, but the details all still stand true.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Okay Tim I remember the auction.

I looked at it daily.

I am interested but I suspect that you can't go much lower than £700. This is for charity as I am driving it to Afrcia and leaving it there for use by a school.

Andrew Renshaw

I would think it depends on what sort of a lean your vehicle is travelling at, whether the difference is significant.

I also think it depends on how many punctures you get and how much you like holding a 15-20 kg tyre above your head to load it or unload it.

Reply to
Graeme Willox