Discovery Power steering pump

My Disco power steering pump is leaking like a sieve. I have seen a kit advertised on the web for replacement seals for these. Has anyone successfully replaced the seals in the pump?

With inflation here in Zimbabwe running at about 1000%, new pumps cost an arm and both legs!

Cheers!

Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter

I read up on replacing the seals and decided that even getting the steering drop arm off was beyond me. I asked on here and was advised to try an automatic gearbox leak curer (I used STP but there's loads of different makes). Having already tried a proprietary power steering leak curer I was a tad sceptical but I duly poured the entire bottle of autogearbox stuff into the power steering reservoir and, after a week or so, the leak was gone.

Two years later it's still fine.

Worth a try in my book

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Fitting a seal kit to a power steering pump is a doddle, it's only two seals!! Getting the "can" off is a little scary, and you do end up with a pile of bits on the bench, but it's pretty straightforward to re-assmemble. Richard

Reply to
beamends

On or around Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:29:18 +0100, "Graeme" enlightened us thusly:

I think you're confusing the pump with the steering box.

Pump is certainly easier to get off the vehicle...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah whoops - reading the original - you're right! Apologies

Reply to
Graeme

re-assmemble.

Thanks for the info Richard. Are the seals special, or are they just O-rings? If they're just O-Rings or similar, I can get them easily here. If they're special, I need to order them from UK, and it just takes a bit of time.

What do you mean by getting the "can" off - is that the bit the pump rotor actually runs in?

Cheers! Graham Carter.

Reply to
Graham Carter

Well if its just leaking between the "can" and the insides at the pulley end, then the seal is effectively an o-ring - the seal that goes inside is a square-profile o-ring so to speak. Yep, the "can" is as you describe - depending on the type (I cant remember which it is on a Disco) it's either held in by two screws on the calsting, or is simply a push fit!

Richard

Reply to
beamends

Hi Graham, can't help with the steering pump but thought I'd just say hi. My wife Steph used to teach in Zim' (up near Mutare) and our eldest son was born out there. All a dozen or more years back now, back before Mugabe went bonkers.

Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary Sutherland