First impressions...........P38 style!!!

Of my new toy after a 450 mile journey today.

Firstly, it is very comfy, very comfy indeed, drives like a new car too.

It does not pickup like the RRC LSE though, must be a weight thing, the V8 is a bit 'muted' compared to the growl from Bob! It doesn't corner as flat either, but it does drive very nicely indeed.

Nothing broke, no cracked liners or overheating, no fuss at all! (apart from a very embarrassing episode trying to find opener for petrol flap!!!!!)

The main surprise for me was the fuel economy, after the LSE I was expecting

15-17mpg even on a steady A road (100m) & M-way (120m) jaunt (each way ;~() I drove it all the way there on the cruise & got 23.8mpg, on the way back I used a very tame right steel toe boot & got 25.3mpg !!!

I didn't go over 70mph, as it was busy as f*ck!! I think that is bloody good as these are very similar to the trip computer results too.

Not too bad for a 4.6 HSE!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

You need a new mobile phone to go with it, Nige... :-)

Reply to
Mother

...and Nige spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

I always found the trip computer was a little pessimistic. Perhaps 1 mpg.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

15-17mpg even on a steady A

on the cruise & got 23.8mpg,

Good to know you like your new toy, overall I'd agree with your assessment - I love mine, especially for my long distance traveling, it is just so easy to do my regular near 1000 mile round trips.

One note about the petrol flap - if ever it won't open, check that you haven't left the key in the ignition - it won't open unless the key is out.

Given your MPG I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my DSE. Best I've ever got is 26.5 (mine's a manual), and that was taking things easy on some nice flat and straight French roads Average is 22.5, pretty much no matter what sort of driving I do, though I do tend to cruise at 80. Any ideas anyone? injectors??

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

15-17mpg even on a steady A

the cruise & got 23.8mpg,

Bloody hell. I drive a car with less than half that engine capacity (2L) and only get 25mpg out of it on petrol.

I must not use this a reason to justify driving a v8..

Reply to
Tom Woods

Take four of the plugs out!

"But think of the money we'd save!"

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I aint used it round town yet!!!

Seriously, my WRX only does a max of 26-27 !!

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

I think you'll probably find that the MPG goes down as you get used to using it. Mine started out pretty high (compared to what it is now!) for the first few days as I was taking it easy, but then ended up where it is now. Still think there might be something a bit wrong with mine as it is pretty low for a diesel.

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Yep, but it's a well known fact that the management system on these runs extremely lean at cruise to give economy - at the expense of cylinder temperature, which is said to promote the block cracking issue. Not proven, mind, that's just RPI's take on it, my personal opinion is that the block runs too hot regardless and really ought to have an 82 degree 'stat fitted, but nobody makes one for the P38. Also make sure top hose isn't collapsing internally, landrover have changed the design spec 3 times already..... Nice motors though, wouldn't have one personally as I like my DII too much. :-) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:34:37 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:44:55 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

Didn't someone (Chevy?) produce one that drops to 4 cylinders when under light load?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, later versions of the small-block chevvy V8 can drop to 4 cylinders, but I think it's not to save fuel, it happens when the engine gets too hot so it starts pumping air through it to cool down. I'd imagine that it could be possible to also try to save fuel using that feature but AFAIK it's not the original intent, they are American after all!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Reply to
Nige

On or around Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:20:34 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

nah, twas about meeting some federal emissions requirement. I had in mind that there was a V16 that did the same trick, but I forget whose.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:41:53 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

in JVL yesterday was ogling a very smart black RR sport. I have to say, it's a lovely-looking thing. Not exactly an off-roader, mind, but I'd prefer it to the Porsche Cayenne, given the sort of money that justified either.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There's an article on the newer small-blocks on this URL;

They reckon it is to save "gas" although I have to take that with a pinch of salt ;-) They reckon it switches to 4-cylinder mode when under light load and saves about 8% of fuel on average, although there's no mention of how that figure's calculated.

I'd read elsewhere that it drops into this mode when the engine gets too hot, perhaps it's one of those "all of the above" answers as they all make sense.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings