Slkight tweeting on exhaust

Had a good run in the LSE today & there's a slight tweet on the exhaust manifold, at least I think it's that. It doesn't sound like tappet noise & isn't very bad, but I would like to sort it.

Anyone know the best way to check for this kind of thing & how big a job is it to sort?

Ta

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

manifold, at least I think it's

You can pinpoint the leak with a bit of hose, on end stuck against your ear, and use the other to search round the engine bay until you find the exact source of the noise.

How big a job to sort depends exactly what it is.

It may be simply a case of tightening a couple of studs on the manifold, but then again it could be a head off job to drill out broken studs.

Reply to
SimonJ

Good idea, i'll look a right herbert doing it mind! If it's a head off job i can live with it!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

Sounds like a good way to perforate yer eardrum...

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

During stardate Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:48:43 +0000 (UTC), "TonyB" uttered the imortal words:

Treied and tested for many years... The intention being to listen for the gust of what ever is blowing / sucking rather than sending the gust down your ear or sucking your brains out :0)

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

During stardate Sat, 29 Oct 2005 18:07:29 +0100, "Nige" uttered the imortal words:

manifold, at least I think it's

Our Disco has one too. My money is on worn manifold studs where it meets the down pipe. Renouned for going. Tighten them and they will be jingleing away in a week allowing the "spit" usually more noticable under acceleration.

If it is then it's a manifold off.. refit studs (take it to your friendly back street oxy bottle owne to get them nice and hot! along with new studs of course) and refit anlong with new exhuast gaskets too.

If it's not this then I'm wrong ;0)