Major works time!

Back from the Caribbean & I took Bob in for a good old fashioned workover! New water pump as the old ones knackered & leaking, a new rear tailgate crossmember as the old ones well rusted away! Also it needs a new rear quarter wing thingy as its got a hole in one of them. Should have him back for Friday so I can start some stuff I can do!!!

Nearly had a bloody heart attack today, started it up & got no drive at all, no gear selection & I thought 'oh shit' only to find I put the TX box in neutral incase some teefs got into it & tried to nick it etc!!! what a fool!!!

Found another noise today, the air con pump makes a right noise with the air con off, it's quiet with it on? Any ideas?

Good to be back, like f*ck!!!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

I think they have an electrically operated clutch. Suspect said clutch is knackered. Can't say I notice any difference in performance or MPG if I have "econ" on or not. Tend now to run with "econ" off, ie. compressor running.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Sounds like the clutch is jamming. I'm assuming it has some sort of electronic clutch.... could be worth giving some theraputic on anf offing along with a gentle big smack with summat hard and suitable squirt of lubricant keeping it clear of the belt though.

Failing that leave it on :-)

Reply to
Lee_D

Or cut the fanbelt? Doesnt seem to to do anything else other than drive the comp??

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

So long as that's all it drives there's no problem in removing the belt by whatever means you like.

Reply to
EMB

Two possibilities both connected with the clutch:

Clutch support bearing - noise shouldn't go away on engaging clutch so can probably be ruled out. To confirm OK, remove belt and spin non-engaged clutch pulley by hand. If the bearing has gone it will be very obvious.

Clutch air gap can be wrong. Chattering noise with clutch not engaged. It's curable by adjustment. If this is a Sanden SD compressor there's adjustment info. in the manual.

The manual used to be available on the Sanden UK website. No more it seems, but you can get it from the US:

Even if this is not your compressor the clutch is likely to match that in the manual.

Reply to
Dougal