sometimes

I like land rover.

Disco wheel bearings and seals all the same, front or rear. Handy, as I had a rear one fail and the 2 I got in as spares a bit back for a front one did the job nicely.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Then sometimes...It takes you ages just to get to one bolt so you can tension the bloody fan belt on a non serpantine RRC!!

Sometimes the urganomics (sp?) are shitty too!! Even getting the key in the ignition in a RRC is hard enough after a new/modern car! It is in the worst postion i can think of!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

Since you asked - ergonomics!

Reply to
Dougal

Yeah, tried it but it didn't look right!!!

Oh well, at least i tried!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

For what you were describing I think your spelling is more demonstrative.

Reply to
JacobH

...and Nige spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Garage.

Never looks right to me.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Nor me - that's why my Landrover lives in the driveway. :-)

Reply to
EMB

On or around Sat, 24 Dec 2005 19:35:48 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

the bloody fan belt on a

Oh, had that too - but it were my fault for having lost the appropriate socket.

The brake calipers are held on by those irritating bolts with 13mm 12-point heads. On the front ones, you need a long-reach socket to get onto 'em, and this I have, bought specially for the purpose. Naturally, on the back calipers, the long socket means you can't get a handle on it 'cos the spring's in the way. So I had to go and buy a 13mm short 12-point (most of my sockets are single hex) for the purpose.

ignition in a RRC is hard

ergonomics...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Whilst ergonomics is the correct spelling, urganomics makes a lot of bloody sense too .. It's similar to some of the noises I make when working on the Landie ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Sat, 24 Dec 2005 22:12:12 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

gauge.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Rotary Wankel Engine

Reply to
wayne

Austin Shackles came up with the following;:

torque ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Sponge. Tongue.

Tonge? Tongue? Tunge? Tungue? Spunge? Spungue? Aargh!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Even better, they are the same on all coil sprung motors, Defender, Range Rover Classic, Discovery.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

the bloody fan belt on a

ignition in a RRC is hard

Be fair, it's position is pretty much determined by the results of crash tests being applied to a vehicle designed before such things were decreed.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Richard - are you back at work? I need to do the head gasket on my

2.25 petrol. I have no idea what state the motor is in, or even if it is 3 or 5 bearing (though I'd guess 3). My plan is to have one of everything I might need before I lift the lid - what do I want?

No idea if the lousy compression is only down to the gasket only. I suspect the whole lot is worn, but the head gasket might 'put me on' for another year until I transplant a new engine. Is this a workable strategy? It's run for a few years with 50% compression on the middle cylinders. It's been laid up for the last 2 years and now won't run right at all.

Also, what's the score with Weber carbs now? Can they be had for ready money or are they still like hen's teeth? I've put an unknown Zenith of ebay on there now which seems better, but I like to eliminate as many variables as I can...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Yep!

It makes no odds for the top end.

The best bet is a top end set:

STC1567 Top End Set - 2¼ Petrol - Series £10.57 inc VAT

you get everything, including a whole lot of O ring and copper washers that have kept people pondering for years.......

As it's the middle cylinders I'd venture that the head gasket is prime suspect.

Available again - but a bit more expensive than it was:

DA2126 Weber Carb - Series 2¼ £95.17 inc VAT

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:27:43 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

not that bad - ISTR buying one about 20 years ago for 50-odd quid.

Reply to
Austin Shackles