Freelander, excellent in the recent snow !

Having bought a Freelander a short while ago, I wanted to try a 4 wheel drive as I live in the 'middle of nowhere' on top of a hill on the edge on the Pennines!

I don't really know why I choose the Freelander, probably because I liked the look of it and it was the V6 GS automatic model, having had sports type cars in the past, I always got stuck in winter as soon as the snow appeared.

Was I surprised just how good the Freelander was, I managed to get home when we had very deep snow recently, the car just climbed the hills without any problems, going down an icy road was a bit strange, but I selected the HDC in 1st gear, that took my safely down to the bottom.

A lot of people I have heard don't like the Freelander, not being able to afford a Disco or higher spec. models, I bought the Freelander, and glad I did.

Anyone else have any comments on the recent snow and getting about?

Brian

Reply to
b.barwick

We've not had a sniff of snow here in Cornwall. I was working in Salisbury last Tuesday and there was snow falling there but not lying. If we do get any snow I'll be off to bodmin moor and dartmoor straight away, I'm a photographer by trade and I need to shoot some snowy landscapes. I've driven defenders and series 3's in some harsh weather, such as winters in bosnia and am constantly amazed at their ability.

I've not had anything to do with freelanders but their lack of low ratio and lower ground clearence would concern me.

However they have a good 4wd system and the HDC is excellent, I would expect great things from them in slippery road conditions such as snow ;o) good choice.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

Our local dealer had an off road day a couple of years ago and I opted to try a FreeLander TD4. I was very surprised how good off road it was although there were a few crashes and bangs from underneath as we grounded a few times. Tried the new Range Rover, that was amazing, went where my 90 and Discovery (both without traction control) would have got stuck. But the Freelander would be a good choice for slippery conditions. If they had a bit space/boot I would probably have one too. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Richard wrote: ::

:: If they had a bit space/boot :: I would probably have one too. :: Richard :: ::

I tried a Freelander, unfortunately I was jammed to the roof. If I'd gone over any sort of bump, the roof would have had a very strange bump in it. :-) Pity, because I really like the look of the Freelander.

Chris.

Reply to
mrbingley

"b.barwick" wrote

Where in the UK have we had 'very deep snow recently' ?

Reg

Reply to
Reg

On or around Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:38:23 -0000, "Reg" enlightened us thusly:

not here. about 2" maximum this morning, and mostly less than 1"

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well define "very deep"... We have "deep" snow at around 3' or so by the side of most roads. "Deep" in the south is less than a foot. B-) Level depth is difficult to gauge due to the drifting but around 15" in our paddock.

Look at

from the 23rd Feb on.

There is also a collection of photos on one of the weather forums of a pub (Red Lion on the North York Moors?) with a drift in the beer garden up to gutter height, it is a normal 2 storey building and a transit van with the back half buried in a drift and a few feet over it's roof.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Call me cynic, but the really deep snow seems to have been in the studios of the new rooms..... (cue clip of reporter standing behind a bit of drift in front of a stone wall, going on about the "difficult driving conditions", while an Astra van flew past in the background....)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I live in county Durham we had a good fall about 4" to 6" nothing serious just soft southerners getting in a panic ;)

Reply to
Dave Allen