Freelander mpg

I've done some long journeys in a diesel V40. Well, they felt like long journeys anyway.... Definitely not a drivers car - very underpowered and dynamically poor. I'd look at the Mondeo and Volkswagen alternatives very closely - far better engines and generally more modern.

Whilst shopping for the V70 I happened upon several 2.4 lpg cars which seem to suffer phenomenal depreciation from new. These are factory lpg installations, so fully warranted and nicely integrated. I wanted more than 140bhp, but the prospect of an 18-month old V70 with all the toys for 14K was very tempting indeed.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Oh Poo. Well I'm going to have a go in one anyway this week along with the Freelander.

I wondered why they were so cheap.

Do you know if the petrol version is any better to drive and still more economical than my 22mpg T5 ?

Mmm, I've seen a couple of cheap ones of those too but assumed they were mega mileage ones.

Might be worth a closer look.

Thanks for the tips.

Reply to
Lofty

"Lofty" wrote in news:ccmp5s$1pm$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com:

We used a 1.8 petrol Freelander for 4 years (about 75,000 kilometers). We typically got around 10.5l/100km. The car permanently had roof bars on, though - ski racks in winter and bike racks in summer. The worst we got was carrying mountain bikes on the autoroute - 12.5l/100km! We only ever did one trip without the roof bars (about 1000km, mostly autoroute, but rather more heavily loaded than normal use), and we got around 9.5l/100km.

We recently replaced the Freelander with a new TD5 Disco, which is currently giving around 10.2l/100km. Diesel is 20% cheaper than petrol in France, so the Disco is considerably cheaper to run. We've done 1600km in the Disco so far - can anyone tell me if the fuel consumption will change with further use?

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Mortimer

Sounds about right. We get about 35-37mpg, which includes lots of cold starts and short journeys. We did have a month or two at 40mpg!

Cheers

Blippie

-- Visit the alt.aviation.safety FAQ online at

Blippie

If I have done my maths correctly, 10.5l/100km equates to around 25mpg which kind of backs up what others have said.

Interesting that you achieved that with the aerodynamics messed up by racks. Sounds like it is a fairly even useage.

Cheers

Reply to
Lofty

Thanks everyone for the feedback - it has been useful.

Just one last thing,

Is the older (pre TD4) diesel engine much worse than that in the TD4 ?

I am looking at an 'S' reg (1997/98) diesel, which is a good price but is obviously an older engine than the TD4.

Thanks

Reply to
Lofty

Noticeably worse.

The TD4 is an excellent engine (used in the BM Series 3, IIRC) and therefore makes the Rover lump seem nasty by comparison.

Cheers

Blippie

-- Visit the alt.aviation.safety FAQ online at

Blippie

Thanks. Why is it when you are looking for a new car, no matter what your budget, the best one to have is always the one which is just outside one's budget ? :-/

Reply to
Lofty

In defence of the Rover 2-litre, it's not a bad engine and it got good reviews when the Freelander was launched. It's just not as good as the TD4.

Reply to
QrizB

On or around Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:52:28 +0000 (UTC), "Lofty" enlightened us thusly:

rule of nature, innit.

but you might, at that, be better off with a low-mileage well-looked-after rover-engine one (L-series, ISTR, which might be a derivation of the Perkins Prima and might not, according to who you listen to) than a bargain-basement thrashed-for-miles BMW-powered one.

newer ain't always better, when buying second-hand motors.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

bargain-basement

Thanks for that.

But I am in a real quandry. My local friendly garage (by that I mean they are locally known to be 'good honest sorts') has a T reg 3dr in beautiful condition with only 30k on the clock. Right colour, and priced at £5k.

After reading all the negatives about the petrol engines, I was heading for a diesel, but a similar vehicle with a diesel engine is going to cost me a grand and a half more. I have calculated that if I put the extra money aside for the increased fuel costs, it will see me though 5 years.

It's very tempting, but flies in the face of everything I have been told since I asked my first question.

Reply to
Lofty

Please don't.

At 30k, the petrol engine is _incredibly_ likely to be within 10k of a head gasket failure (honestly, even my local LR dealer tells me that almost all

1.8s have had the head gaskets go by 50k). Depending on the damage done when it goes, and who you get to repair it, it will cost between £500 (head skimmed and refitted by an independant) and £6k (LR dealer declaring the engine scrap and fitting a replacement) to have it sorted. Having had it sorted, you can expect to be within 40k of it going again.

Here's a potted history of our 1.8 (a not atypical one, at that):

36k Head gasket failure, 2 weeks in the workshop, repaired under warranty (2 years old). I have to say that the engine always felt rougher afterwards, but I've no idea what they changed. 48k Catalytic convertor breaks up. A decent contribution from LR as it was just out of warranty. 78k CCU controlling the 'ancillary' electrics packs up rendering rear door inoperative £450 to have a replacement CCU fitted by my local independant LR repairer 78.5k Head gasket failure. LR offer 50% contribution toward cost of replacing cylinder head. Total quoted was £3000, or which we'd have to pay £1500. Took it to my local independant (after paying £440 to get it back from dealer) who skimmed head and refitted for £500. 78.8k IRD (Intermediate Reduction Drive) showing signs of failure. Estimated cost to repair, £1000. Got rid of it right sharpish.

Trade-in value at 79k, 4 1/2 years old (V-plate): £4500.

I said ours was atypical: our next door neighbour had a '98 1.8 which threw a head gasket requiring a replacement engine, shortly followed by IRD failure. They own a Mazda 323, now.

The £1500 price difference between a petrol and a diesel _might_ just pay for the head gasket to be repaired. Once. Note that LR almost certainly won't contribute because of it was out-of-warranty when you bought it.

An out-of-warranty Freelander is a bit of a liability. An out-of-warranty

1.8 is the stuff sleepless nights are made of.

Honestly, steer clear.

Reply to
Smorgo

Thank you, that is certainly sobering food for thought.

Reply to
Lofty

I had a chat with the land rover man at the garage today about your head gasket issues.

He said that there is a mod which can be done to replace some plastic parts (don't ask me what, he lost me after sentence two), and that any freelanders they get in have the mod done, to avoid any come back on the head gasket issue. He is so sure of his facts that he is prepared to give me an 18 month warranty on the head gasket. He will also give me a 12 month warranty on any mechanical breakdown (apart from the usual exhaust and tyres etc), underwritten by the garage.

Normally I would be very sceptical, knowing what garages are like when you go back with a problem, but this one is very well respected in the area, and I have heard so many good things about them that I am inclined to take their word. Someone in our villag bought a car from them 2 years ago, and after 8 months it suffered a mechanical failue. They took it back to the garage to get the work done, and they did it for free as they said they took responsibility for all cars they sell.

I have heard similar stories from other people, and anyone you mention the garage to immediately says something like "You wont go wrong with them, they are very fair and honest".

On that basis, I may try the petrol freelander for a year and see how I get on. If I like it, I will robably be able to afford a T4 Diesel by then, and if I don't it's back to a Volvo V70.

Thanks for taking the trouble to get me clued up on the potential problems.

Lofty

Reply to
Lofty