FS: Range Rover/Lightweight Hybrid

Posted on behalf of a friend...

For sale: Range Rover / Lighweight Hybrid

Shortened Range Rover chassis Lightweight body panels Road legal Road tax exempt

3.5L V8 carb engine Relocated petrol tank Roll cage 5 x Mud tyres

Enormous fun off-road. Seems to be unstoppable. And a real head turner (especially given the roar of the engine).

It's been standing for a while because of my friend's personal circumstances. Engine's not running 100%, possibly a sticking valve?

A great project vehicle - apart from the engine there's no urgent stuff but plenty of scope for fiddling/improving bits - as much as or as little work as you want really.

Some pictures at:

in the For Sale folder.

Location: South Oxfordshire Price: Keen to sell so offers invited Email: tristan at talisman-uk dot com Phone: 07970 823667

Regards,

Rafe

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge

Thats a very nice Dredd 101 you have pictures of on there!.

I've only ever seen the one at Gaydon and that looks rubish compared to that one you have pics of!. Almost makes me tempted to get a big hammer and remodel the ambi :-)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I hate to have to say this but your description is somewhat misleading. The vehicle is neither Road Legal nor Road Tax exempt. See

which states:"If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used an SVA certificate will be required to register the vehicle and a 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.". As such this vehicle should have had an SVA and have been allocated a Q reg which is ineligible for road fund duty exemption.

Reply to
Phil Gardiner

That isn't strictly true. It depends when the thing was built. If it was built before that legislation came into force then it is as described, and is simply a modified early 1970's Range Rover for all legal purposes.

I think.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

I can't see mention of age of vehicle on the indicated web page.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Yeh, someone on another list snapped it and so I stuck them up for all to see.

Rafe

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge

I've no problem at all with you suggesting this, especially as like everyone I do make mistakes! However your arguments don't convince me that was wrong in this instance.

Although this is now largely academic because the vehicle has been sold and will be converted to a trialler.

To start with let me confirm what it is: It's a 1971 Range Rover with a lightweight body on top.

The fact it's a 1971 vehicle means you don't have to pay Road Fund Duty although you still have to go through the process of getting a "tax disc". If calling this "Road Tax Exempt" is mis-leading then I apolgoise but I thought it was a common enough phrase.

As for the Q plate suggestion: This vehicle has the original chassis, suspension, engine, gearbox, steering and axles. Which gives a total of 14 points according to the website you give, which is definately more than the

8 required. The website does not suggest that altering the body (which is all that's been done) counts as altering the vehicle - unless it's a monocoque which of course it isn't.

The only thing that does get me thinking is that the rear cross-member has been moved forward a little. Does this count as a modified chassis? Doesn't strike me as being such, unlike converting a leaf-sprung to coils for example.

If so why don't all bob tailed Rangies have a Q plate?

Does that clarify things?

Rafe

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge

In message , Rafe Aldridge writes

That fits your description perfectly.

Perfectly ok.

I don't see the problem. Perhaps there's something obscure that we missed ...?

Reply to
AndyG

I made the assumption that as it has a lightweight body that it would have been shortened from 100" to 88" wheelbase. I can't see how this could be described as an original specification chassis and would therefore not qualify under the regulations and would be assigned a Q plate.

Reply to
Phil Gardiner

if you look at the photos you`ll see that it does indeed appear to be

100inch wheelbase. the rear body looks like its had some extra panelling let into it to make it all fit the longer chassis. could be wrong of course.

nick c

Reply to
Nick C

100" indeed. There's an extra 12" of panel behind the doors. Should have made this clearer but I had thought that it was obvious.

I assumed people knew what a lightweight looked like and would spot the extra panel.

Look like assumptions on all round causing the confusion! Oh well.

Rafe

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge

In message , Rafe Aldridge writes

Still doesn't make any difference - the body of a LR does not hold its identity, the chassis does. Shortened or not shortened, as long as the chassis is from the tax exempt vehicle and the essential bits are of the correct type for the chassis it's ok. If the chassis was from a newer vehicle it would be unlikely to get tax exemption due to points. If the vehicle was built such that it's age was indeterminate - eg a 127" chassis with a coil conversion running a BMW diesel, a stretched 80" body and an LT95 box - you'd get a Q plate (and a headache putting it together!). The only other possibility is that the age is indeterminate due to import or demob which could generate a Q but that's often easy to deal with.

Apparently the DVLA are currently more likely to give a 'sensible' age-related plate and avoid a Q reg if they can ...

Reply to
AndyG