Gearbox Temperature

How hot should the gearbox and transfer box get? Mine is getting so hot it is raising the cab temperature, the bulk head is getting hot. Both gearbox and transfer box too hot to keep your hand on for more than a second. The handbrake drum is much cooler so doubt that is the source. Its a 1989 Defender 110 V8 CSW with an LT85 box. Have checked oil levels in both boxes and they are fine.

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

Idris uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Surprisingly hot! This is one area where 101's with hard tops and summer are a little incompatible.

I've had allsorts of thoughts to try and introduce additional cooling but for the milage I do it's not worth the bother.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

If it was an issue

helps I've done the manifold so I don't get the KungFu tattoos like Kaine in the TV series.They claim that it improves the charge density - No bad thing this weather certainly makes it a bit quieter.Derek

Reply to
Derek

You can manage one second - it's still 'cold'. The oil will withstand temperatures considerably above the boiling point of water and your hand will not stand that for a second!

View it as a demonstration of just how inefficent gearboxes are.

Reply to
Dougal

Yep, sounds right. Get some automotive insulation material and lag the transmission tunnel. Mine always used to draw heat through the gaps around the plate underneath the cubby box too, and it was always drew more hot air into the cabin when the sunroof was open.

Idris wrote:

Reply to
ChavScum

I always regarded this as a feature since it helped, albeit marginally, to keep things a little warmer in winter when the wind was gusting through the various body appertures.

regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

So what's the correct grade of oil?

Yes, gearboxes do get hot, and this weather isn't helping. In some situations, I'd wonder if a build-up of muck and dusk were acting as insulation, but the last time I has that sort of problem was with a combine harvester.

Reply to
David G. Bell

That is the only thing that effectively heats my cab in winter. Ihave experienced transmission oil overheating in automatics, it oozes past the seals and catches fire, the solution there is to fit a transmission oil cooler, don't know whether there is such a thing as a gearbox oil cooler.

Reply to
Larry

Thanks for all the replies, take it this is relatively normal then.

I note Davids reference to a combine, interesting, I have marginally more experience of those than Land Rovers.

Correct oils as specified in both boxes.

Will concentrate my efforts on keeping the heat out of the cab rather than worrying why its being generated.

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

This is correct. Landrovers are devices for converting your money into heat, noise, and a large grin.

Reply to
Peter A