greenlanning in Barnsley (a bit ot)

Hi all A mate of my brothers was lanning over Huddersfield / Barnsley / Derbyshire borders last week and was entering a lane in Barnsley, where a plod was parked. Said plod stopped him and informed him that Barnsley council had banned all lanning in their area. The lane he was trying to access is signposted as a "byway" and is on the os map as a boat. So is there any truth in this or was the plod NIMBI type and taking the law int is own hands?

Thanks in advance

Icky

Reply to
the ickys

Contact the local GLASS Rep. It may be TRO'd

Reply to
Mother

Which lane? If it was TRO'd then there should be clear notices at each end. I've not seen any mention of this in the local press.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Just checked os and the lane is a rupp but it is deffinatlely signposted byway, I know this as i drove it myself in September. The lane runs next to the A628 and is labled as Snow Road (track) then Barnsley Boundary Walk on Explorer 01 if it had been TRO,d why didn,t the police say that instead of all lanning banned in Barnsley Council area. It all smells abit fish like to me!

Icky

Reply to
the ickys

On or around Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:27:57 GMT, "the ickys" enlightened us thusly:

does, too. They can usually TRO anything they want, if they try hard enough, but it's highly unlikely that they've TRO'd everything. And in any case, like Tim said, if it was TRO'd it should have a big ROAD CLOSED sign on it, and doubtless a notice detailing the extent and duration of the TRO.

Be worth investigating with the council and the definitive map, I reckon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:39:13 GMT, "the ickys" scribbled the following nonsense:

Get in touch with the local highways authority and ROW depts, they will be able to tell you of any TRO's.

General rule of thumb, unless there is a TRO displayed at each end of a byway, it is legal to drive it......

Reply to
Simon Isaacs