Hoo feckin' ray ...

Finally got my diff done ...

Got a donor axle complete from a rolled Disco that had only done 48k ... mine has 117k on it, all works well and sounds great.

Eventually the noise turned out to be two broken teeth on the input gear. Crown gear (where I'd suspected the break) is fine, minimal scoring which can't be seen unless pointed out.

I is happy ... I now have a quiet Landrover Discovery. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Nice one Paul, that was a mother of a job but at least you now have a 93% new truck ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Yeah. Lot of it, tbh, was me prevaricating and not having enough time to do it all in one hit, so when I had an hour, it'd take me 1/2 an hour getting stuff ready and packing away so only working on it for 30 mins at a time. I desperately need to get a garage or some kind of lean-to roof so I can keep dry ... ;)

Mind, when the noise first started in France I said at the time that it sounded like a diff tooth missing. I just didn't want to get into the job I think. Now I've done it, and all the other bits along the way, it's given me confidence that I can tackle anything on the Disco ... given working space and time.

Next one will be sorting a small weap I have from either the transfer box or main gearbox, can't quite track that down.

Reply to
Paul - xxx