UJ's

Well, that's it. Done all four now within the last year or so, so hopefully they'll last a bit without needing doing again.

However ... the front UJ of the front propshaft had one of the roller bearing races completely dried out and devoid of grease. The one I replaced it with I filled with grease by hand before assembling the propshaft, then when I'd got reassembled it to the Disco I tried to add a bit with the grease gun, but it only came out of one node of the four-way UJ. What's the likelihood that this one will go the same way as the other?

I do try to keep them greased but it seems pointless if I'm only greasing one and the others are just going to lock up and dry out anyway.

Are there other UJ's that are better/more reliable than GKN's?

We do a lot of off-roading but like I said they're cleaned/greased after almost every run out, at least every fortnight anyway, but this almost seems pointless if it's not being greased correctly.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Quite high.

Start with the obvious that the grease passages in the spider need to be clear. Old hardened grease is all but impossible to pump out. If you've stripped/cleaned or fitted new, this is not an issue.

Then arm yourself with a large screwdriver and force the spider towards a bearing cap then pump in the grease. Repeat for each bearing. Take care not to damage the rubber seals. Obviously it's easier when the propshaft is free to rotate, so chock wheels, jack up, unlock diff, etc. as required before you get underneath.

The increased resistance to grease flow at one end of the spider arm will then usually allow grease to flow at the other.

There are many that are worse.

Yes, you're wasting your time if you can't get them all lubricated.

You will frequently find that rolling element bearings, of which this is an example, do not perform well with a moly grease - the rollers skid rather than rotate and die more quickly. Use this snippet as you think fit!

Reply to
Dougal