Hurricane hits Billing

A freak mini hurricane has hit the LRE Show at Billing Aquadrome.

A large tree fell onto the Trailmasters display, early reports say one vehicle written off. Gazeebos flying, broken flagpoles devastation in the camping area, many ambulances reported on site.

Health and Safety Executive on their way.

Hope nobody is seriously hurt - apart from the pockets of the profiteering organisers who cram punters in like sardines and show absolutely no regard for safety.

Reply to
Mother

Shit. Citation ? No sign on BBC news web yet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Kinel! We would have been there but for me being skint and Little'un being invited to a party. Only for the day mind.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Reply to
Lee_D

Just as well I decided not to go today, mind you we had some strong winds here for a while too.

Reply to
Larry

Me and Bec were going to go, actually got in the car and started to go - but then i realised that it was stupid to pay £20 to get in to get a £5 part, so we went to the Next sale instead :(

The weather changed in about 1 minute, from sunny to torrential downpour and very strong winds!

I hope that everyone at billing is ok, and that the organisers pay a lot more attention to H/S next time....

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I'm a willing critic of Billing and the individual who makes so much money from it. But..

Is it being suggested that the organisers were somehow negligent in placing stalls within the falling-radius of established trees at a time when nobody expected high winds?

This incident sounds like a genuine accident being seized upon by those who, quite rightly in my view, feel that the whole Billing setup is a major accident waiting to happen.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

No doubt those attending will top up the information over the next few days, however, the reports I've had indicated that the tree which fell on (poorly fated) Trailmasters was rotton to the core. This should really have been picked up earlier by the site owners - or by the risk assessment (if indeed there was one) conducted by the organiser of the LRE Show.

Reply to
Mother

Sound familiar?

Reply to
PDannyD

PDannyD uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Wasn't it this time last year, or was it the year before that a tornado touched down in Brum, I know I was in France at the time and had suffered some horrific thunder storms that were undoubtedly part of that weather system.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In other freak weather related news:

Two killed as inflatable "artwork" takes off at Riverside Park, Chester-le-Street, County Durham.

Alan J. Wylie

I think that the biggest H&S risk at Billing is fire. I find it outrageous that the tents are so crammed in together. This is no blame to be levelled at LRE for the fallen tree, it looks like 'one of those things. But they are responsible for it...

Reply to
ChavScum

The tree was rotton. It was behind the mud-club stand and the ground was undisturbed. The roots were not connected when it went over....apparently all trees were checked and tagged a year ago...so I think the land owners can expect a bill.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:01:46 +0100, "Neil Brownlee" scribbled the following nonsense:

it had a tag on it saying it had been inspected in 2006. It was removed shortly after it fell.......

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:02:57 +0100, Mother scribbled the following nonsense:

I have plenty of pictures of the devastation, will get them sorted out soon. Had a somewhat disjointed Billing, with having to take the trailer down Thursday, drive back to work on Friday, and then leave Billing at 01:00 Sunday morning because my grandad had fallen ill. Got to the hospital in time to watch him slip away, before having to drive back and collect the trailer on Sunday afternoon.....

When a certain person was asked the question about what was going to happen, he said it was only minor, and nobody had been hurt.... Explain the ambulances flying around and the people rushed to Northampton General..... I would call the organiser a c*nt but at least they have a use.....

Show seemed empty when we arrived back on Sunday, lots of traders had pissed off home either because of damaged stands or stock, or lack of care by organisers. Took over 2hours before anyone got round to checking if our stand was okay. Granted its a large trade area, but they could have chucked loads of people at checking it.... One chap who camps with GLASS every year and travels from Germany said he would never return to Billing, as did many others, it wasn't the weather, just the attitude of our "friend" who organises the show......

Lots of traders not there this year, eg Simmonites, Rocky Mountain, didn't see several others either. Hada chat with some of the traders who I count as friends and they were seriously thinking of dropping Billing.

Needless to say, there were the usual chavs driving around to 4am, pissed out of their brains, thievery, fights etc.....

Hate the sodding show......

Reply to
Simon Isaacs