alt.fans at Billing?

It's a pity there isn't a stand for this newsgroup at Billing. Some of us know each other already, but a lot of people make a valid contribution to this group without posting regularly. Maybe we could organise some sort of rendezvous at the show, a sort of Land Rovers Reunited.

Mind you that might lead to all sorts of complications, such as 101's mixing with 110 and even Land Rover owners getting mail order cars from Toyhatsu land!!!

Anyone else interested in meeting up at the show so that we can put faces to names?

Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

Maybe we could organise some sort of

As usual some of the magazine Forum users are meeting up at 1pm in the beer tent each day, perhaps a similar arrangement could be used for the ng.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

A good opportunity for me to remind all alt.fan.landrover contributors and lurkers that Pimms and beer is on offer at the red 101 in the family camping area all evening. The more the merrier!

That is, of course, assuming that there is a red 101 there....

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

John Hi,

I will be at the Camel Trophy Owners Club stand, which by the way is conveniently located next to the beer tent.

Drop by and say hello.

I will be very happy to meet everybody in case we arrange a forum meeting somewhere.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

That's a shame - I was looking forward to meeting that tea cosy.... :-)

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Never been to any LR show before - can I just turn up and get a ticket or am I too late ???

cheers Gavin

Reply to
Gavin

In article , Tim Hobbs writes

What if there's two...

Reply to
John Halliwell

That's quite late. Mine finished on Friday the 11th. Got to go shopping tonight. I hope they've got the extra big shopping trolley on stand by!

Reply to
Nikki

Try them all until you get free beer....

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Pay at the gate - we always have until this year. Billing is quite good in that you pay per vehicle, so it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to bring the family.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

mother Hi,

I heard that last year there was a problem with some people "misbehaving" close and inside the CTOC stand. Problem was that those people had nothing to do with the club's members.

I also think that there will also be an "unofficial" CTOC stand outside the showground.

Take care and see you there. Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:34:02 +0100, Nikki enlightened us thusly:

they're not actually going to school on the monday. No idea why anyone thought it a good plan to schedule the last day on a monday. ridiculous. They must have left out a day earlier in the year somewhere.

but there's school on friday, right enough. Still, there's always another show, or another year. Money very tight this year for variety of reasons.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, that's why I made the comment about giving you lot your own special police guard :-)

Well a few always tend to drift our way for some odd reason - not that I'm bothered, as they usually bring drinks with them!

Reply to
Mother

See you there, Mother,

hope we are both sober !!!!!!

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Isn't there something strange about Leicestershire school holidays? I seem to remember someone telling me that it was something to do with a local trade, or the Wars of the Roses, or something like that! John

Reply to
John Stokes

It could be that you are thinking of the builders labourers who used to carry the bricks on their heads up the ladders to where the bricklayer was working. Bruce had one of his best mates work for him years ago, who was really good at this and could carry 24 on a board on his head, up ladders etc, with no hands. Not allowed to do it these days though.

Its more likely that you are thinking of the first two weeks of July when there is a mass shut down - hosiery trade started this I believe, and most of the residents head for a caravan on the east coast - Butlins at Skegness being a very popular location. Its something I'd never come across untill we moved to Market Harborough when I was a child.

Leicester is like a ghost town, and although the school holidays now start two weeks later and are 6 weeks instead of 8, it seems to be a habit that is going to be very hard to break. Its not just the hosiery trade that expects it either. Loads of places have done it and still do it to this day. Bruce used to hate it when he had half a dozen or more men working for him and they'd all disappear on holiday for two weeks right in the middle of a job. He calls it "Chisit" week - supposed to be "how much is it" as thats all we heard the one and only time we found ourselves in Skegness during those first two weeks in July, when we had our first touring caravan and only two children. We found ourselves camping next to the bloke who lives three doors away.

Reply to
Nikki

Just flown back to Brum from working in Edinburgh ready for Billing The kids don't finish school until 22nd July, next Tuesday, but my wife would be much happier if it wasnt until 22nd August! Needless to say they're having the day off Friday - not that they'll do much at school anyway. Soon as they finish tomorrow afternoon, the shopping should be done, the car should be packed and we'll be on our way!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Ward

Our little man has just developed Chicken Pox so looks like we will have to abort. Still It'll give me some time do some overdue bodywork and prep for painting on Morph.

Even if he's reached the 5 Day no longer contageous stage no doubt our little girl will be well on the way then.

Ah well, enjoy you lucky sods Perhaps this is just the shove I needed to take a peek at the LROi show later in the year at Peterborough. Have they divised a simple route to Peterborough from the midlands yet ? I've never been and My Dad seemed to think it was a pain to get to.

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

"Lee_D"

Bomb stright down the M6, pick the A14, turn off at Thrapston and head up the A605 to Peterborough which brings you out almost at the Showground.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Septemeber 6th & 7th. LROi Peterborough

Also Trentham Gardens is the last weekend in August. (Stoke on Trent Junct

15 M6 area)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D