Defender V8 110

Im looking to purchase one to pull a horse trailor with 2 horses weighing over a ton + trailor weight. I had a disco but it struggled so I want a V8. Ive looked across the net and found a black J reg for 5k. But missed it and it sold elsewhere. So if anyone knows of a beast going with reasonable mileage for year and aint too old......Please email me or reply here. Thx ZoNeHeaD®

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

I used to pull two 16.2+ plus Ifor with a TDi disco and it used to want to pull harder than the speed limit or comfort of the horses would allow..

Of course the V8 110 will pi$$ it. I pulled an extended Ifor 530 with my 90 V8 a while back and it felt like it wasnt there..

Reply to
Tim Guy

I've got a 1985 110 V8 (pre-Defender) and you do see quite a few dating back that far - mainly county bodies - but the later Defender

110 V8s are very rare - I don't think I have ever seen one. The V8 110 has reasonable grunt, but the standard engine is pretty flat tune, and the fuel consumption is plain awful. Expect 16 or 17 mpg without the trailer.

How about a 110 that has had an Isuzu or other slightly more lively diesel engine inserted (or a TD5). I think the power from the bigger diesels will be getting close to the standard V8, plus loads of mid- range grunt for towing, and better economy.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve