Instructions for hi-lif jack?

On or around Mon, 30 May 2005 22:58:53 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

Having had a bottle jack go over and deposit a landy on me (fortunately not fatally) I'm pretty paranoid about getting under vehicles without stands these days, too.

mostly use a decent-sized trolley jack and then stands under the axles, unless I need the axles free. I have been known to attach the engine hoist to the front bumper of the 110 in order to change the front springs; but that doesn't involve getting underneath.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Hi,

another excellent precautionary measure and easy to use is to fit the spare wheel and rim below the diff's casing until you complete the wheel swapping or whatever else you have to do when you lift the vehicle.

I always do that regardless of using the axle stands. At least one wheel and rim are ALWAYS available when you lift the vehicle unless you just want to lift it to make some space for the beer or food inflated belly (kidding)

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

I'd not thought if that, nice tip. where I usually park and work on my vehicles is on a slight incline so the spare wheel and'or an unused axle stand is usually jammed infront of the wheels. for the record I use a small 2 ton trolley jack, usually with a lump of wood on top to lift and an axle stand to hold, though the jack remains in place with the handle in just in case.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

forgot to add: when I was a kid a mates father was killed as he worked under the engine bay of his car supported only by a scissor jack, his wife was nattering to a neighbour at the boot-end of the car and absent-mindedly leaned on it just enough to topple it.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP