Just a jolly...

Having done far to much work for one day off....

Been out to blow the cob webs of Alfie...

Took the camera, scenery is the Peak District area between Stoke on Trent and Buxton.

Interestingly or not, the lump in the shadow on this piccy below is our Rangie because we were on a ridge looking into a valley...if you look really carefully you will see my shadow waving......

kidd'in ;-)

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:31:18 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

hmmm. an idle thought has just occurred, wonder if it's possible without silly amounts of gear to drive a landy up the broken road at Mam Tor...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles posted ...

Is it legal ?

If it is .. then I'd be up for 'having a go' at it .. '97 (P) Disco 300 Tdi

3 door with only variation from standard being tyres, BFG AT's 31 x 105R15's .. which are just a tad too big and keep 'sanding' the bottom of the wheel arches and bending 'em ./. ;)

We were near there the other day .. drove the lanes over 't other side, signposted for the Motocross tracks, and which drop down into back end of Castleton .. Didn't see any other LR's, just Trailbikes .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:58:54 -0000, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

damned if I know. I walked up and looked at it, some years ago; on a day oh blustery wind and horizontal intermittent light downpours.

came to the bit where the final slip which was never repaired happened, there's about a 2-3ft step, then another such, then 2 more steps back up again. I imagined a dark, wind-howly wet and dank night in winter, some poor sod driving home over the pass, coming down the hill to find the road had disappeared...

's bloody impressive, even so. There's an earlier disconnected bit of road down the hillside...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles posted ...

You can just imagine it .. "Shorry, Offisher, Am shure there wuzz a road here before we got to the pub .."

Think we might be over there tomorrow or Sunday, visiting friends .. so might take a lookiesee .. purely in the interests of research of course. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Natty mains plug. I've not seen one like that before.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex posted ...

Same, or similar, to many caravans .. or 110v oulets in factories/Industrial environments .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

er...whats Natty mean? Tatty or nastey or both?

:-)

The one that came off was a bit more heavy duty....

but that said...having seen either Marshalls or the Military wiring...I suspect some REME bodge (I've photos of it when it left Marshalls and it had no mains then) , I'm glad I stripped it all down as two of the screws which were supposed to be holdind the mains input to the current trip were floating around in the case.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

16A 240 Volt ceeform type plug.

Great for this type of thing.

Dave

Reply to
Dave H

On or around Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:28:00 -0000, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

I think you'll find there are barriers that would have to be circumvented first. Worth a look at the road, if you've not been before. Always wondered how come there was this A road with a piece missing from the middle...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Nope - had a look at it three weeks ago (going again tomorrow to that area) - there's one "step" near the top that's about 10 feet with no way round without doing a tour of the local hills anyway. It would be interesting to know what the status of the "road" is - is it still a road?

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

natty, adj. (OLD-FASHIONED INFORMAL)

stylish and tidy in every detail:

- He's always been a natty dresser.

Now you are educated....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:56:04 +0000, richard.watson enlightened us thusly:

must've got worse since I saw it then. I was amused at the contempt of nature for the efforts of man, meself. Victorian engineers thought they could do anything, and about 80 years of history proved that both they and the ones who came after couldn't. I don't doubt that it would, now, be technically possible to rebuild the road into a stable condition, if anyone wanted to do it enough...

have to try and head up there again next October (MCC "Edinburgh" trial) and have another look.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:00:02 -0000, "Dave H" enlightened us thusly:

is that one of them Blue industrial style ones, as used on caravans?

could do with one of them for the pressure washer, it'd not melt the bloody

13A ones.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well it has to be said... yes I am a stylish dresser, and the socket is indeed tidy in every detail :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Very tidy, you know that this means I'm going to have to hurt you a little, don't you?

I have a similar inlet on Grumber:

but with hindsight, I'd have placed it elsewhere...

Reply to
Mother

Lee's only gone and wired morph up cos i got myself a mains inlet socket the other day and he didnt want to be beaten... :-) I've got to go pull the battery charger and the circuit breakers off the caravan at some point too..

I was thinking about putting mine where yours is on grumble. Why have you not found this to be a good place? Would i be better off doing the same as Lee has?. It does indeed look pretty tidy down there...

Reply to
Tom Woods

Looking good. I've got no excuse for not doing mine now have i? :) (especially since i now have the wire to plug it in with!)

Though i suppose i have really got to shift that saab before i can even get the 101 out again!... and it wont shift till it has some wheels on..

when you came to visit, we were thinking that Alfie sounds like a fairly gutsy diesel - Didnt know who it was to start with - Weve been attracting all sorts of people recently with all the 'projects' in the front garden! :-)

Reply to
Tom Woods

excuses excuses ;-)

2.5 VM all rebuilt last Feb with new pistons rings and bearings , head gasket set and recond the turbo.

:-)

And as ever my camera was at hand :-)

Lee_D

Erm, a mains point above the fuel filler cap? Simple saftey dictates another location.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex