Lane video database

Heh, I wondered ... I use torrents regularly but they're mostly transparent and I receive them mostly at about 3meg. When I get encrypted torrents they're invariably much quicker, typically up to about 5/6 meg. I guess most ISP's (I'm with NTL/Virgin) do some sort of 'traffic management'.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Wed, 2 Apr 2008 07:57:51 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

not 'ere they don't, but then I do pay more to get the unlimited thing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Same here, although across the industry, supposedly it's the "unlimited" ones that have the traffic shaping put on, with the capped download limit ones they just let you cane it as hard as you can in the hope you over-run your limit and have to pay extra.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Unless you spend a lot of money, it's inevitable. They sell more total capacity than they can ever deliver, and bury in the small print just how small your share really is. It's all the ISPs, and some of them have not yet returned a profit, while they keep trying to attract more customers.

Reply to
David G. Bell

On or around Wed, 2 Apr 2008 10:54:05 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

well, yeah. However, a friend of mine who does a lot of torrenting apparently spoke to BT and asked about that very point, and was told that he'd have to get to really silly-big bandwidth use before they'd do anything about it.

Turning on encryption on Azureus (but with options set to allow non-encrypted as well) didn't make any obvious difference this morning. Then again, at this time of day pressure on bandwidth is not so great.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Apparently that used to be the case but recently they've started doing it bigtime. I know Julian shot from 20K/s to about 90K/s as soon as he turned encryption on and he's on BT.

Not all ISPs do it, and not at all times of the day, however it's worth enabling optional encryption so if a peer requests it then it'll work. Looks like your ISP, like mine, isn't one of the shapers.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings