laws on storing fuel

Screw top is not a requirement but a vapour seal is, so a jerry can is fine but not the 20l, only the 10l ones. For a a bit more detail on petrol see:

Dave Liquorice

Storing fuel? I use a 45 gallon drum for diesel for the tractor. Works pretty well.

What about agency cards? I keep getting calls asking if my "company" would be interested in buying this way and how many cards would I like?

To be honest, I hardly looked at it but the saving appeared to be about 10p per litre from selected outlets. Presumably, there is a catch.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

As I was filling up my 20l jerry can at the local BP garage the other day, I read the sign which seemed to confirm it's not a legitimate fuel holder. This does seem a bit odd, really. Never mind Halfords, who's going to tell the army?

David

Reply to
David French

Well a law may be on the statute books, it does not mean it is ever enforced, So will I be stopped for having a jerry can on the back of my landie while some plod checks to see if it contains petrol or diesel (fire brigade in attendance for safety of course)

Reply to
Larry

Probably not stopped for that but if they stop you for something else and start poking about it's something they could use. Note that the laws regarding the carriage of fuel in a vehicle (not in the vehicles fuel tank) are different to those relating to storage.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So what the foosh is 28-second heating fuel then? Not heard that term used before.

I have kerosene heating, it has the text "NOT TO BE USED AS ROAD FUEL" on the invoice, so alerting everyone to the fact that it could be used as road fuel!

A fried in the car trade in Southampton said that a good 50% of the diesel cars coming in for servicing are running on Marine diesel, and another friend who used to go hot air ballooning stated that most of the vans and landies that chase the balloons run on the balloon gas!

Sometimes when filling up at the filling station I feel like the odd one out... So I bosh a few litres of veg oil in just to make me feel normal!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Having a petrol can on the back of a Land Rover is, IMHO, very dangerous. More so for the poor sod who drives into the back of it(or gets reversed into) than for the driver. Remember the Ford Pinto?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

It's a viscosity measurement. I think Kerosene is 28-second, and Diesel is something like 35-second, but I haven't seen the term on any recent invoices.

I shall have to ask the vicar if they charge him duty on the coal for his traction engine.

Reply to
David G. Bell

28 second is paraffin (kerosene) and 35 second is Diesel. It's a measure of the time taken for a given amount to drian through a given sized orofice.

Not brilliant in a diesel - it will run, but not produce much power and the smell from the exhaust is a dead give away.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Which had a badly placed fuel tank which would burst if shunted from the rear, and Ford knew about it.

I'd agree about carrying cans of petrol. They should be secure and in a protected place. Diesel is much less dangerous.

The Army used metal tags to label the contents, red for petrol and yellow for DERV. One US supplier of new cans sells them painted in those colours -- it's apparently some Federal specification.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Is there some kind of jerry can famine going on? Last time I bought some was about 2 years ago from Keith Gott in Alton and/or Safari Engineering in Eversley, they were about £3 each and all in very good condition and very sturdily built.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Gas producing engines are exempt all road tax, I think steam is the gas they meant but have seen pictures of a unimog 404 running on wood.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

The prices I have been quoting have been for new not second user. Saw someone on ebay last night with "100's in stock" at =A310 each but with =

=A37.95 postage...

Anchor Supplies are out of stock of ex-MOD ones at =A35.00, they have fully refurbished ex-MOD at =A312.50 and new commercial (not MOD) for =A317.50. Delivery guide price =A37.50 for 1-6 of any type.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:50:19 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

dat's der bunny. as distinguished from 35-second. There's a standard by which they judge how long it takes a particular quantity to pass through a standard sized orifice. 35-second oil is thicker than 28-second.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As a slightly related question..

If i wanted to store biodiesel in a 200litre drum that had previously been used for red diesel, how would i go about cleaning it out sufficiently to remove any of the red traces that might get me in trouble?

Could i just swill it about with some petrol or normal diesel or is it going to be more complex than that?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Might be worth contacting your local councils trading standards officer.

I did when contemplating storing some diesel at home. Their response (Surrey CC) was that there is no legislation which you must comply with as a private person. Should you be storing hundreds of litres they advise informing your local Environmemtal Health Dept, presumably in case leaks get into the water course. Cheers.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Wilson

It will stop them tailgating, and anyway it is well above the bumper level in a low level collision. besides if the bang is big enough its going to rupture the main fuel tank anyway. I reckon there are a lot of cars with very vulnerable tanks.

Reply to
Larry