leisure battery

ISTR Martyn's Optimas in Grumble lasted a very short time. Last I spoke to him, he was taking them back to the battery shoppe.

Reply to
Rich B

AOL. 110Ah battery for the caravan, about 60 notes I think. It's lasted a year so far, which is no recommendation I know, but it recently did a full fortnight without a charge in France, with the voltmeter still in the green zone when we left for home. Light usage, but I was pretty impressed.

Reply to
Rich B

"Rich B" wrote............

No wonder they were knackered if he got them from Ye Olde Batterie Shoppe, what were they?, Leclanche cells?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

That's a shame, I've no idea what kind of warranty they have if any. I've had two normal batteries fail on one car in the space of two years, the RAC chap said it wasn't anything to do with the car, not sure if he was right or not, and sold it shortly after replacing the second one. Hopefully he's just been unlucky and Grumble's not just a battery killer!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I think he had to top them up with lemon juice!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

second recommendation! (mr grnoval already did so). They must be good!

Will give the local motor factor a go and see if he can get leisure batteries in (just thought of this today!) and match their price and use them if he cant.

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

I remembered that! and mark solesbury posted about dodgy ones on his new 90. The price has scared me off too..

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Red and yellow top Optimas. He wasn't all that impressed IIRC.

Reply to
Rich B

Shorted turns in a starter motor can knacker a battery. Draws too much current - but appears to work near normally. Fairly unusual fault, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know the Elecsol leisure batteries, the ones with carbon fibre plates and a shed load of BS in the adverts, claim a 5 year warranty. I also know of people who have tried to claim on it and got nowhere because it's so easy for the makers to claim you have abused them in some way. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Optima make great store about how much longer their batteries last but still just offer a warranty for no longer than other makes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Otherwise these are the equal of an Optima.

Full UK dealer list here

EMB

100AH odyssey for £225 or a 110AH numax conventional leasure for £57.

I cant see how 4 times the price can be justified for what i am gonna use it for!

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

I have an 85AH in burrt, cost me about £30 IRC

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

what sort of fridge are you running in burrt?

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

It isn't, in fact it's not justified for any camping application, this is the sort of scam I was trying to warn people about. Greg

Reply to
Greg

you were mentioning them costing twice as much and maybe lasting twice as long elsewhere (which almost makes sense).. This costs 4 times as much.. i bet it wont last 4 times as long or have 4 times the warranty..

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Even if it did these warranties are practically worthless, when you try to claim the shop just sends it back to the distributor and leaves you without a battery. Eventually you get a statement that you abused it and your only option is trading standards which most can't be bothered with.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Fuck me - thats about twice what I pay for them. If they are ripping the UK market off like that I withdraw my recommendation immediately.

Reply to
EMB

its an electric 240v small fridge, and spends most of its time on electric. If we are permanently connected to electric not a problem, for shows we just freeze everything a couple of days before, make sure it is running before we leave and down to temperature and load it at the same time as I start the engine. Means the food will last for the

3-4 days I need it to.

I know Martyn runs an Engel, but has Optimas (which he has had huge problems with!), but IIRC does normally end up charging his second battery during a weekend.