LT77 woes

My new purchase is suffering the usual worn output shaft as I knew when I bought it & it was discounted to suit etc.

I can get a recon box for around £375 mark, Realistically, how many hours to change the box over & how easy is it to sort the input flange on the TX box?

Also, can you fit a newer box easily enough etc?

-- Ta!

Nige

Subaru WRX (54) Land Rover Turbo Diesel 110 (G) KTM 520 SX (2001)

Reply to
Nige

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 20:18:25 +0100, "Nige" scribbled the following nonsense:

bought it & it was discounted

change the box over & how

Home job is fun!!! About 4 hrs ish.......

You have to lift the vehicle up as high as you can to get the gearbox out from under the vehicle, as four post lifts are not normally readil;y available to us home mechanics!!!

Expect lots of swearing as well!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I have 4 ramps so it should be ok at that, if not i have a 5 foot hi-lift too!!!!

I was thinking more the actual procedure & how do i sort the shagged input flange on the TX box etc?

Cheers though, cant wait!!!

-- Ta!

Nige

Subaru WRX (54) Land Rover Turbo Diesel 110 (G) KTM 520 SX (2001)

Reply to
Nige

Have I missed an earlier explanation - as there isn't one (in the way I'd understand it) I'm finding this difficult?

Reply to
Dougal

The gearbox output shaft goes directly into the TX box, the gearbox shaft is shagged, so i reckon the input flange on the TX box must aslo have wear as it is due to lack of oil? Or am I missing summat mate!!!

Nige

-- Ta!

Nige

Subaru WRX (54) Land Rover Turbo Diesel 110 (G) KTM 520 SX (2001)

Reply to
Nige

shagged, so i reckon the

am I missing summat

There is no flange. The rear end of the main 'box mainshaft is splined and mates with the splined bore of the transfer 'box input gear.

Reply to
Dougal

Right, thought there was one, well, the box input gear then!!

Ta nige

Reply to
Nige

On or around Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:38:42 +0100, Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

change the box over & how

f*ck me, what are you on?

LR service times list has 6 hours for remove and replace transmission.

I'd expect to take a long day, or 2 ordinary idle-bastard days, at home.

You can do this on a 110 by removing the seatbox and floor panels, unbolt props and other stuff, remove T-box, then remove main box, in 2 parts, from inside the vehicle. If you're strong enough, you can do it without a hoist as well. You'll want a jack under the main box so you don't hang it on the input shaft while removing it. You can't get the whole transmission out upwards even with a hoist, or I couldn't, mind, that was an auto and borgwarner. But you've got to split the T-box and main box anyway, so may as well lift 'em out in one piece. likesay, if you;re strong enough to lift the halves then you don't need a hoist.

Swap input gear in the T-box and swap bellhousing and gear linkage stuff over is about half an hour, I should think.

see above, about doing it from inside. has the advantage if working in the open that at least soem of the time it's not raining on you :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 04 Sep 2006 23:24:49 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

shagged, so i reckon the

Or am I missing summat

this is true. and it's the gear you have to replace, but it's easy enough to do. Make sure you get a cross-drilled one to replace it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

hehehehe - I hear what you are saying matey!

Anyone know of anywhere near to Leeds/Bradford to pick one up from. I dont want a second hand one, just a good quality re-conditioned one.

Are there any gaskets required, i really am going to have to get a manual or at least a parts manual.

Might as well throw a clutch in it as well.

Reply to
Nige

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

For my money (though I have none but spending that of others is much simpler!) I'd consider whipping it down to Ashcrofts or L.E.G.S (Legs?) for them to do.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Long bloody way though!! Also, it's gonna take 'em some time too!

Hummmmm.....

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Beaumonts at Wainstalls near Halifax is the man you want.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Any numbers etc? Directories can't find it

Reply to
Nige

01422244587

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Cheers, bloody hell, they only want £350 for a good recon. Also £45 for a cross drilled input gear.

I'm gonna nip up later i reckon, once me oil leaks sorted!!

Ta matey

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Oswestry Is a nice enough place to spend a weekend ;-) (LEGS)

Some nice lanes up that way too for the test drive.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

110 is on my wish list for one day... I hope you're making a good job of all this work!

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

"Nige" wrote :-

You're very welcome and you'll not be disappointed. I've used them quite a lot in the past and never had any problems. They also do power steering boxes but I've not used them much lately as the age factor slows you down a bit.

Martin

Reply to
Oily