Trac Edges - unidirectional?

Are they, I think they are?

Getting me new box this week for fitting this week, can't wait! No clunk on drive take up!

Still got a bloody oil leak on the oil cooler, the top union is sweet now, but the bottom is dripping like a puffs arse.......

-- Ta!

Nige

Subaru WRX (54) Land Rover Turbo Diesel 110 (G) KTM 520 SX (2001)

Reply to
Nige

No! - they're not.

Reply to
Dougal

There isn't any arrow indicating direction of travel etc? The tread also looks the same either way! But, as usual, i'm probably wrong!

-- Ta!

Nige

Subaru WRX (54) Land Rover Turbo Diesel 110 (G) KTM 520 SX (2001)

Reply to
Nige

|| Dougal wrote: ||| Nige wrote: ||| |||| Are they, I think they are? ||| |||| Ta! |||| |||| Nige ||| ||| No! - they're not. || || There isn't any arrow indicating direction of travel etc? The tread || also looks the same either way! But, as usual, i'm probably wrong! || || -- || Ta! || || Nige || || Subaru WRX (54) || Land Rover Turbo Diesel 110 (G) || KTM 520 SX (2001)

Dougal's right - they can fit either way. But where TF did you get Trac-Edges from? I though BFG stopped making them a couple of years ago. Can't get 'em here for love nor money. I had them on the 90 - great tyres, about half-way between AT and MT.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

It's been more than two years, I think, since they stopped making them. Great shame as they were an ideal compromise tyre - far better off-road than you would ever have thought.

Reply to
Dougal

Based on such reports I bought some ages ago, and to be honest I found them disappointing off-road, more than once I got stuck in inch-deep mud on flat ground or drove across a gentle side-slope on grass, slipping sideways. Mud-pattern tyres were a massive improvement.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Of course they've got their limitations but as I said for a compromise tyre for mainly on-road use that had some off-road ability they did far better than expected. To compare their performance to a mud tyre is a bit unfair: they don't make any claim to such ability.

Reply to
Dougal

I know but I found the difference between the track edge performance off-road and the mud tyre off road to be so huge that I wondered where the track edge's reputation for being good off-road came from. It wasn't a case of the cheap remould mud pattern being a little bit better, it kicked the living crap out of the track edge! It was like night and day. The mud pattern was far closer to the track edge's on-road performance than vice-versa. Personally I'll not bother with AT tyres, even now my landy is relegated to almost 100% on-road driving.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

|| Ian Rawlings wrote: || ||| On 2006-09-10, Dougal wrote: ||| ||| |||| It's been more than two years, I think, since they stopped making |||| them. Great shame as they were an ideal compromise tyre - far |||| better off-road than you would ever have thought. ||| ||| Based on such reports I bought some ages ago, and to be honest I ||| found them disappointing off-road, more than once I got stuck in ||| inch-deep mud on flat ground or drove across a gentle side-slope on ||| grass, slipping sideways. Mud-pattern tyres were a massive ||| improvement. || || Of course they've got their limitations but as I said for a || compromise tyre for mainly on-road use that had some off-road || ability they did far better than expected. To compare their || performance to a mud tyre is a bit unfair: they don't make any claim || to such ability.

I dunno - I trialled the 90 on them (at 16 psi) when I first got into that game and, while I didn't win anything, I certainly wasn't embarrassed by them.

Wet grass will find the limits of ANY tyre.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Ive got a set on my 2A. I'm very impressed with them. They are lasting well and i've never had any problems when i have strayed off road. Infact ive only even got the landy stuck a few times and its never been due to the tyres (either deep water, mechanical failure or extreme geography).

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Or 101 swallowing ruts ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I wasnt counting that since it did eventually get out of the rut unnassisted! - so it doesnt count as stuck to me ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:33:15 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

they're reckoned to be good on hard rocky stuff where soft mud tyres can suffer.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I agree entirely with that.

Can't see why you need mud pattern tyres to drive through the occasional muddy puddle or across gently rolling meadows. :-))

Martin

Reply to
Oily

The mud wasn't deep and yet the trac-edges just couldn't grip. There were two trucks in front of me on the grassy slope, they were sat there as I slid slowly down the slope towards a fence at the bottom, tearing up the grass as I went. I dumped the trac-edges soon afterwards and the difference was enormous, so you can all keep your silly girly tyres ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I just love this group :-) and I love XCLs, and I could use another two

7.50s if I could find them, went to Langley Farm but no luck ;-(

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:36:59 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

don't Michelin still make 'em?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes.

There are usually some available from MOD sources e.g.:

Not a good tyre for use on peat, however.

Reply to
Dougal

Cheers for the link. I suspect they are new old stock because I'm pretty sure that they don't make them any more. They will be OK though, I'll check the dates on them. Thanks

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Martin,

I've got five, on rims, that I took off my 90 a couple of years ago. Been stored in my garden since then.

1 is a little low on tread other four have loads. One of the four was run on flat because of a puncture for about 10 feet so not sure if it's ok to use.

Happy to part with them for a small amount to charity.

Located in Norfolk.

Email is valid.

Regards

RichardB