October darn sarth Unofficial - I need summat to fill my Diary

IMO testing a cardan shaft parking brake on the rollers is a huge mistake. It's forbidden in the NZ WOF (MOT equivalent) tester's manual. It's also been cautioned against in the instruction manual for at least one of the roller brake testers I have used.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Wed, 05 Sep 2007 01:55:19 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

well, quite. I've heard of people breaking series half-shafts by stopping the motor on the handbrake, although the chances are they were old, shagged ones to start with.

not sure what our MOT manual says.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've seen the backing plate torn off the rear of a gearbox (non-LR) in similar circumstances.

Reply to
EMB