oil additive to fix leaking seal

Leaking oil from main rear seal on 2.25 petrol. Blokey at local friendly garage reckons it might be worth trying "this additive you can get to put in the oil that softens and swells old cracked seals", before going to pain and hassle of replacing.

Anyone know what it is called? Where to get it? Any good?

Reply to
Dan Burdge

Do you mean the cranckshaft seal? If so take care of not ruining the clutch. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

I think it's called 'Automatic Transmission Stop Leak' . It's intended for auto boxes and has also been known to work on motorcycle front fork seals. Most modern lubes include the seal swell ingredient these days, so I don't know if it is still available.

I think the chances of it working on an engine oil seal are prety small.

-- Pete

Reply to
Pete Young

Rear crank oil seal was leaking on my ninety. Bought stuff called 'Lecwec' recommended by more than one of LR mags. It's available from frosts auto restorations. It did work for about 2 months, then started leaking again, but to be fair I had left it for way too long before trying it out. Engine out job soon methink before clutch gets oily!!!!

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

I got some once in Halfords (ick) to try to stop a rocker cover gasket blowing out oil until the end of the month when I could afford to change it!

The stuff did absolutely bugger all except prey on my mind until I did an oil change.

:) K

Reply to
Kieran Turner

Okay, thanks for the advice. Next question: do I need to pull the engine out to get at the crankshaft seal? I currently have neither engine hoist nor trolley jack. Mate of mine reckons you can separate gearbox enough to get at the crankshaft seal without removal. Haynes disagrees. Which is true?

Reply to
Dan Burdge

Never done it before myself, but from what I've been told you might as well take the lump out. I'm borrowing a foldable engine crane from a friend. I am currently making space in the garage!!!!

Stew

Reply to
90ninety