OT: Austins Barbecue

job done

Thanks very much!

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

On or around Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:49:02 +0100, "Graham G" enlightened us thusly:

Personally, I ditched OE ages ago and have for the last several years used Forte Agent (free trial to be had, costs about 29 bucks to register the full one) which has gone from "good" (version 1.2, I think I started with) to better (version 3 now which is about as good as they get) although it's very much a personal choice thing. I know people who swear by microplanet Gravity, and others who favour mozilla thunderbird. they're all good.

Full agent does email as well and v3 will allow multiple servers and accounts.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Read my original point again. In general it's not an issue and we'll let it go in mostly non-techie groups. It only becomes an issue when people demand that top posting is what they like doing and everyone else can go screw themselves.

In a group such as this, I for one am more interested in what people are saying, rather than where they're saying it. Top posting is a pain, but it's only usenet, nobody dies...

Reply to
Mother

And telemarketing is only a phone call..... :-)

Reply to
EMB

Outlook and Outlook Express are entirely different programs, not even from the same base I'm told. I use Outlook Express, although I would suggest Outhouse distress is more apt. There is a wee freeware (I think) called quotefix which allows one to select top or bottom cursor position. It also attempts to correct some of the more obvious dificiences of Outhouse distress. It has a fair go at fixing the sig seperator, not always successful, but at least it tries.

GbH

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Graham G blithered:

Reply to
GbH

No, it's a sport (for us...)

Mother

That was to what I was referring - you have a reasonably larger group of listeners at this end of the world now. Any objections if I steal your concept and do something similar?

Reply to
EMB

GbH muttered summat about:

Unfortunately so...

Reply to
Graham G

GbH muttered summat about:

EMB put me onto that one. It certainly does help!!

Reply to
Graham G

In good company. That particular clip has been broadcast on BBC Radio

4 a couple of times (well, parts of it), mentioned on a few consumer programs and also mentioned in a couple of newspapers and magazines.

It did actually backfire for a while, with fecking recruitment agencies trying get the better of me. We started charging them, the calls stopped quicker than registering with any 'preference' service!

Please feel free, although I'm really not sure I could claim it as my own original idea, I somehow suspect it's a long established sport :-)

Reply to
Mother

On or around Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:42:44 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

hehe. you norty bloke, you.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It is! I did something similar around 9 years ago with C R Smith double glazing, I managed to keep the bloke on the phone for nearly an hour by asking some really stupid and off-the-wall questions about their windows, was his glass thicker, could you break in with a blowlamp etc etc etc, before finally asking him if he ever bothered to check their installation records to make sure he wasn't calling someone who'd had CR Smith double glazing installed 18 months previous..... there was a stoney silence, followed by me asking him if he'd enjoyed me wasting his time and would he now consider how others felt when he called them up cold...... he hung up, damned inconsiderate of him I thought! Funny though, I've never been called by CR Smith since...... Friend in Edinburgh gave in to a pushy conservatory salesman who wanted to show him their new range of upvc conservatories, bloke was really disgruntled to find the address was an upper-floor flat..... my friend met him at the entrance and pointed up at his living-room window and said "so, do you put them on stilts or what?" Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Any unsolicited faxes I get are normally replied to with a notification that I will charge for any future faxes I receive. I've had to pursue a couple of them thru the small claims cort - but I've had a good laugh doing it and now the fax machine is strangely silent.

I'll have to start recording the calls. I've been stringing the American Express people along a bit - they keep offering me a card and I keep wasting their time, even to the stage of filling out the forms, receiving the card and then returning it because "I've changed my mind". They obviously don't keep records of this as they call me every few months to have another go. Unfortunately there's no equivalent to the 'preference' service here or I'd list my number.

Reply to
EMB

EMB muttered summat about:

I knew someone who used to get a lot of credit card offers through the post, so he started sending them each others offers back in their prepaid envelopes. They soosn stopped sending it.

The other one he did was with telesales. If anyone phoned up and offered anything for the house (windows etc) he would keep them on the phone for ages sounding interested, then in the end when they ask if they can send someone round to talk about it he would say, "well I guess you should speak to the housing assosiation first" they usually hung up then. Very rare was it to get a call from the same company twice :o)

Reply to
Graham G

On or around Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:44:01 +0100, "Graham G" enlightened us thusly:

Mate of mine once got a d/g salesman to call, knowing full well that the house already had d/g and besides it belonged to the council.

When the bloke showed up he was somewhat miffed to find d/g already installed. "Oh, has it? quoth my mate. "Coo. I didn't realise that. See, it's a council house."

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Graham G muttered summat about:

When reading post they often have (forgive the poor description) square boxes with a small red cross in the corner (like when a picture hasn't loaded) intermittantly through the text. Whats that all about, never used to happen, have I got something set wrong??

Reply to
Graham G

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Graham G blithered:

Dunno but it does sound like an unresoved image, you haven't turned on smilies or some such have you?

Reply to
GbH

During stardate Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:05:50 +0100, "Graham G" uttered the imortal words:

It's lifes way of telling you the handbrake needs adjusting on your neighbours 101 ambulance. ;0)

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D