OT: Austins Barbecue

Those who missed the Unofficial will also have missed Austins superb Barbecue. A short clip of it here:

Mother

During stardate Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:14:58 +0100, Mother uttered the imortal words:

......Suddenly everything became clear.....

Mutant landrover owners run amock in the Welsh hills.....

Becareful! Cher nobble fall out.....

Le Ed

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

Martyn

Just as a wee trouble shooting exercise - what sort of bandwidth has your server got and are you doing any rate limiting by connection? My ISP seems to have international bandwidth problems - downloads are well slow unless multi-threaded, and they seem to be having trouble defining that there is a problem at all. If your site is using a big pipe to the greater net I'll use it as an example to show them exactly what I mean.

Reply to
EMB

The box is fairly well 'connected'. I'd look alsewhere the an issue.

Reply to
Mother

Thanks - that's what I'd deduced. With multi-threaded ftp I can suck

2Mbit/sec off your box, but.... otherwise something is limiting me to about 10% of that. Time for another call to the idiots on their helldesk - one more suggestion that I should reboot my PC and router and I'm off on a helldesk excursion with my axe.
Reply to
EMB

You must be joking!!!!

In the immortal words of Monty Python - we used to dream of 2MBits/sec. I am still waiting for ADSL and at the moment am restricted to a slow 64K ISDN line.

we have out trusty state monoply telkom (also know as Helkom) to thank for the situation.

And don't even get me started on what we have to pay for this paltry bandwidth!!!

Regards Stephen

Reply to
Fanie

On or around Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:53:10 +0200, "Fanie" enlightened us thusly:

Sounds like the situation here until recently. Got 1MBps broadband now, and they reckon the line should support 2Mb if I wanted it...

having just discovered this:

though, I might look at upgrading the package I pay for to get more included bandwidth. for an extra 7 quid a month I can go from 2GB included to

45GB...
Reply to
Austin Shackles

It helps minimise the number of top posts you can make in any given 24 hour period. :-)

Reply to
EMB

Forgive my ignorance, but what pray tell is a "top post?"

Regards Stephen

Reply to
Fanie

In the immortal words of a bowl of petunias ...... "Oh no - - - - Not again"

..................Smurf

Reply to
Smurf

where add text that which are thus their harder understand

people quoted above to they replying making reply to

HTH :-)

Reply to
Mother

On or around Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:53:44 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

being silly.

now that's just

Reply to
Austin Shackles

EMB

But your progressive logic is not correct methinks...

Anyway, I'm prepared to let it go ;-)

In further response to the OP (Original Poster), "Top Posting" is usually ONLY and issue here when people defend it. Not being too geeky or techie, we (the great and the good) will normally let it go as we're benevolent and charitable and understand that many are not fully educated in the ways and traditions of usenet.

Those, however, who defend it because they like doing it that way and believe the world should revolve around them and screw everyone else are basically fuckwits and have a place lower in the foot-chain than flies who live on dog s**te.

Reply to
Mother

Ok forgive my ignorance, but I hadn't been aware of this piece of etiquette so I may or may not have top posted before and I therefore apologise. However, it would appear that outlook express has this as its default, am sure there must be a way of altering it, but cannot figure out how at present. Or am I better abandoning outlook in favour of something else? Suggestions please...

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

OE Quotefix - a nice little addon for Outlook Express that fixes most of it's annoyances and makes quotes work properly.

EMB

Thanks for the link. Can't seem to get it to work atm, is it me or is it down?

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

It seems dead. Try

EMB

followed the links and they end up at a dead end too :o(

Reply to
Graham G

Right.... that's fixed it. I've uploaded it for you.

500kB or so. And it'll only be there for a couple of days.
Reply to
EMB