ot Cheques

sorry to be a pain, but is it true that an ordinary bank cheque is only valid for a period of 6 months from the date at the top??? or does it have an indefinite 'shelf-life' without a best before date?

Any answers wouldbe mucho appreciated

Reply to
Tony

I think some banks have extended it to 12 months but on the whole it is six months.

Andrew Renshaw

I paid a 3 year old cheque in a week or so ago, and they took it off me without saying anything and have credited my account - though i suppose they could take it away again at some point! This wasnt a normal bank cheque but a special one from either the gas or water people from when i moved house and got a refund.

Reply to
Tom Woods

It's usually 6 months. But the latest stunt by the banks is that they now reserve the right to cancel a payment by cheque

*at any time*, even after it has cleared. It's so good to see the banks supporting businesses so well to prevent themselves becomeing victims of fraud. Ba****ds.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd