OT: Pads on 01 Laguna

Feels like the Laguna (1.8 Expression ) needs pads, I've yet to drop on a workshop manual, any one done the front pads on one? It has ABS. Just wondering if there are any tricks up it's sleve like the '93 Granada Scorpio I had which needed a special tool to wind the calipers back in.

I'm wondering if ICBA to do it any one had them done at the likes of Kwik Futt? Are they readsonable?

To bring it back on topic once it's done then Mrs D will have use of it while I sort the Disco's front disks & Pads (Richard, get em in)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Hi Lee I had an earlier version - front pads were a case of undo one bolt, slacken another, swing calliper up and away from the disc, swap pads and reassemble.

Back pads needed a tool like you describe to wind the calliper back in - I made do quite satisfactorily with a pair of needle nosed pliers and a bit of swearing.

Reply to
Graeme

Graeme uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Interesting , first time I'll have come across that, heard about them but never seen them.

Are the pads held in by the casting then rather than pins? I guess the disk then fills the gap?

I've tried a couple of times to get a workshop manual but I guess it's too new. Neither Halfrauds or the local motor factors have them in :-(

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Hi

Given that I'd only ever b*ggered about with RR pads (i.e. fixed caliper and you pull the pins out and then the pads) these things confused me!

On mine you slackened two bolts (top and bottom) that held the caliper body in situ. You then pulled the bottom one right out and swung the caliper up using the top bolt as a hinge. Pads then came out quite nicely.

Ditto on the rear except the caliper had to be wound in whereas the front ones could be pushed in as normal.

Scratching me head now trying to remember - I think the fronts were on little spring/locators and just slotted into the gap (certainly the ones on my current jalopy - a Shitumishi Spacehopper are just like that). The backs on the Renault had pins for sure.

HTH

Reply to
Graeme

Graeme uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Ta,

I'll whip the front wheels off in the morning and have a butchers, assuming it's dry ;-).

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I've got a saab brake caliper winding tool which sounds like the same sort of thing. Its like a flat bar with 2 round lumps on that fit into holes in the caliper backing

You could probably fab one up fairly quickly Lee and are welcome to come look at/borrow my saab one if it helps.

You could make one out of a bit of flat metal (perhaps an inch wide and 6 inches long). Drill 2 holes at the correct distance apart at one end and put 2 bolts through and then weld the bolts in from the back and grind it off flat.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Done the mrs Laguna rxe with abs last year. Assuming it's the same then its straight forward. An upper and lower bolt which retains the springs.

Reply to
bones