OT Referee

You might find that driving a bit differently helps. Keep the revs up on a diesel engine. But that might not be so big a difference in motorsport as it could be for highway driving. Still, I wonder what the effect would be if, instead of the usually suggested RR diffs in a Series, an RR had the lower-ratio Series diffs and a diesel engine.

Reply to
David G. Bell

In message , Badger writes

We played around with LPG on my 200 tdi. Went pretty well if you upped the LPG enough, but then was useless on economy which was the main selling point. Important thing on any diesel is to keep your foot at or near the floor at all times.

Reply to
hugh

thusly:

Yep, but it wasn't mine and I wasn't getting paid, only looking at it as a favour.

Indeed. My comment to Kev was that I'd driven std disco's that felt more powerful on the road. He didn't like that!

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Lots of smoke and noise, and about 60mph??? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:03:05 +0100 (BST), snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.demon.co.uk ("David G. Bell") enlightened us thusly:

the ratios in the 300 TDi disco seem to suit it pretty well, IME, provided the engine's on song.

'course, if it was mine, I'd up the boost and fit a larger intercooler... I bet it'd not be hard to get the TDi up to about 150 ponies, really.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The disco in question was showing nearly 1.75 bar boost pressure on it's aftermarket gauge, with a replacement massive ally intercooler fitted! Personally, I think the engine itself is shafted! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:27:32 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

that or the rest of the fuel system... I imagine a certain amount of adjustment is required to handle that sort of boost.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The fuel metering pump is, to a certain extent, self-compensating as it senses boost pressure. Still, it did manage to produce some black smoke on hard accel so one can assume it was getting enough fuel. Just felt lacking in power on the road, even with a roll cage and all the underside protection making it slightly heavier than a std motor (allowing for it being stripped-out) it felt slower than many a std 200tdi I've driven. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:43:05 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

must've just been buggered, then :-)

I don;t see why a decent-condition diesel shouldn't be tunable to equal a

3.5 V8 in normal use, maybe more. In terms of the modern racer, and considering the perfomance on-road of the current generation of diesels, it should easily be possible to get results, I'd have thought. the latest lot of common-rail diesels and similar sucha s the pump-düse (which IIRC is "pump-jet" or similar) and LR's unit injector things on the TD5 (are those the same, BTW? PD is the volskwagen take on it...) if they can't produce a diesel endurance racer, then there's summat wrong.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

My thoughts exactly.

Indeed. The engine in my BMW (3.0 straight 6) is a phenomenal piece of diesel engineering, 184bhp and 288lb-ft std, chippable to 220ish bhp and

330lb-ft, smooth and quoet as well. The thought has crossed my mind a few times now, what if this was in a 110..... Dunno how close this engine is to the TD6, might even be the same thing packaged with different plastics? Another engine that springs to mind is the new Peugeot V6 diesel that's going in the X-type Jag. On paper, more poke than the BMW but how it delivers it I don't know as straight 6's are inherently torquey designs. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

How on earth did we get from discussing the England game to diesel engines?

Reply to
David French

In message , David French writes

And on that subject has anyone heard the official explanation from Uefa as to the foul they claim to have seen on TV replays?

Reply to
hugh

Slow, smelly, over-rated and all torque?

Why, it's the England midfield....

;-) and all that....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:39:06 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

Audi do a nice 2.5 V6 as well, by all accounts. should suit a freeloader...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:39:11 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

's called thread drift. Happens all the time in the shedde.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No, not many threads in the shedde manage to 'start' on topic, unlike this thread - starting 'off' topic, then sadly drifting 'on' topic. Erm... my brain hurts...

Reply to
Mother