OT: The loss of an old friend...

Lighthearted post - don't panic :-)

I said goodbye to an old friend today.

Been with me from 1974, that's a cool 30 years, never, ever let me down. Always with me, whenever and wherever I've moved, trusted, reliable, sturdy and 'there'.

I had to say goodbye to my paintbrush today. Odd? Yes, probably.

I don't recall paying very much, but it stood the test of time. I can remember spending more time cleaning it that using it, then ensuring it was wrapped in a bit of old brown paper with a rubber band

- not too tight, placed away until I needed it next.

I sat for a moment and tried to remember all the rooms in various houses that it had painted - how once, I'd let a gloss almost dry and had to soak it for ages before giving it a good clean. How I had decorated my late Fathers' new office for the first time - it looked awful - really, so I did it again.

I remembered the various motors which had been the subject of its attention, including 'Rosie', my 1955 Morris Minor (4 door saloon with a split windscreen and 850 side valve engine), my old MkII Jag, beloved Lotus 7 and (equally beloved, for different reasons) Ford Transit... Grumble has a few contributions, the last, it appears.

In later life it had been used little for paint, more for brushing dust out of computers whilst I was fixing them, but it was still the brush I'd turn to first whenever I knew I needed a good finish.

The bristles had worn down to less than 1/4 inch - and was no longer a 'brush'. The wooden handle - once painted itself, was bare and smooth with age. It had had a good life.

As I was also having to do some digging type stuff in the garden, I decided to bury it.

So with prayer and respect, my old friend was laid to rest.

R.I.P. old friend. I doubt B&Q could ever provide a replacement for you.

Reply to
Mother

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mother at "@ {mother} @"@101fc.net wrote on 6/8/04 23:24:

My condolences on your sad loss. Just remember that *out there* may be the next good reliable friend.

- Rory Manton

- Oh gods , why me?

Reply to
Rory Manton

R.I.P. old friend.

I think a moments silence for reflection is in order.

Thank you.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

I am still using some of the same ring spanners I used on my Lambretta scooter back in the mid 70's :)

Reply to
Larry

Me too. GP200.Wish i had it now.

Reply to
Jakey

Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Norton Navigator mid 60s and the Imperial spanners are still somewhere here.

No it was rubbish but I didn't know better then and loved it to bits.

nigelH

25 years of F2 racing and got the skeleton to prove it (sadly).
Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

You owe me a keyboard Brookman...

:-)

Reply to
Mother

Ting is... twern't expensive, but that's relative init?

I had a neb in B&Queue today - nout that 'looked' like it would last.

I just hate the idea of buying their 'designed to be chucked not cleaned' brushes. All I want is something that will give a good finish - why can't the brainless prats who work there understand that I may wish to clean a brush properly and use it again later?

One spotty lad looked at me in horror when I asked such, almost confirming that my part Scot blood had spent too much time in Yorkshire...

Course, in the old days, I'd have had a propa shop to go to an ask.

Reply to
Mother

Lambretta

somewhere here.

bits.

I'm still using the pliers I bought in 1972 to replace those missing from the toolkit of a Honda CB72. Now I'd rather have kept the bike than the pliers - it'd be worth a damn sight more... (Incidentally, has anyone else ever completely rebuilt the engine of a Triumph Bonneville, only to wonder after it was rebuilt, "was that really a main bearing rumble, or could it have been that loose alternator rotor nut?")

-- David

Reply to
David Lees

On or around Sun, 08 Aug 2004 01:18:22 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

Personally, I've found that you spend as much in brush cleaner. However... my complaint is that the cheapo brushes don't work nicely.

see if you can see a Hamilton (I think that's right) which are very nice brushes, at a very un-nice price, but worth it if you'r planning on keeping it. not in B&Q, probably...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

However Homebase are carrying them at the moment.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Mother"